• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thylacine (1 Viewer)

I heard that the plan now is to release infection free devils onto some of the islands. One of the faculty in zoology here has done conservation work on the Tasmanian Devil and has essentially given up on being able to preserve the population on the main island

I wonder if Tasmanian Devils can be released in some reserve in mainland Australia?

They lived there in prehistoric times but were apparently outcompeted by Dingos. Now, with dingos themselves wiped out in much of Australia, Devils can come back. Apparently they can get rid effectively of other introduced vermin - Foxes and Feral Cats.

I heard that the plan now is to release infection free devils onto some of the islands. One of the faculty in zoology here has done conservation work on the Tasmanian Devil and has essentially given up on being able to preserve the population on the main island

I suppose Bruny Island would be one such place as it’s big enough to support Devil Populations, but has none occurring there at present (although there have been anecdotal sightings over the years).

Last edited:
there was a plan to send many of the captive thylacines to one of the islands around Tasmania but nothing ever came of it, so if they could do this with the devil that would be great. lets hope something is done and soon.

there was a plan to send many of the captive thylacines to one of the islands around Tasmania but nothing ever came of it, so if they could do this with the devil that would be great. lets hope something is done and soon.
I just hope they don't screw up the local ecology by doing it. They need to check for evidence of previous devil populations in proposed relocation sites. There are plenty of examples of Aussie natives running amock outside their range within this country.

Of course if ecologically it makes sense then one can hope the species can be saved this way. They are wonderful unique animals.

there is another worry concerning dna and cloning, if it becomes possible to clone the devil and since there is a population to do it from they have a good chance, then it may become an excuse for allowing extinction. The argument would be that since there is a large dna sample stored then they could be brought back in the future.

Billib, you could make the same argument about captive populations of any endangered species, so I don't see this as being an issue

that is my fear, that governments could argue that a species is so close to extinction that any further funding is of no value, but a dna database could be established at low cost. I think this may happen with the giant panda.

Apparently Chris Packham (a biologist and tv presenter in the UK) has said the world wildlife fund should stop funding to save the Giant Panda and let it go extinct and divert the money to other creatures who are more saveable, I'm not sure what to think about that.

Coming to DNA thread. Some years ago there was an article about so-called "environmental genomics".

It turns, that if one simply takes a sample of soil and applies sensitive DNA extracting techniques, one can recover DNA signatures of most plants and animals living in the area. Scientists used it to estimate when very last mammoths and horses roamed prehistoric North America. I must say I didn't follow it further, and don't know if this technique caught up.

But this may be ideal for searching scarce Australian fauna. Just take samples from lairs, burrows, waterholes and similar places which are probably visited by marsupials, Night Parrots etc. And maybe you discover DNA, to search them further. Alternatively, no DNA would be a sad confirmation of absence.

Coming to DNA thread. Some years ago there was an article about so-called "environmental genomics".

It turns, that if one simply takes a sample of soil and applies sensitive DNA extracting techniques, one can recover DNA signatures of most plants and animals living in the area. Scientists used it to estimate when very last mammoths and horses roamed prehistoric North America. I must say I didn't follow it further, and don't know if this technique caught up.

But this may be ideal for searching scarce Australian fauna. Just take samples from lairs, burrows, waterholes and similar places which are probably visited by marsupials, Night Parrots etc. And maybe you discover DNA, to search them further. Alternatively, no DNA would be a sad confirmation of absence.

Hmmmmmmmmmm Sounds interesting. Any idea of where the article / paper was published?

Chris

A report just published suggests that the Thylacine's jaws were too weak to tackle anything much larger than a Bandicoot. They effectively exonerated it from being a sheep, or even lamb killer.

In other words, the reason it was hunted to extinction was in itself no justification for killing it, making its extinction all the more pointless and sad...

Hmmmmmmmmmm Sounds interesting. Any idea of where the article / paper was published?

Chris

Hi, try:

Science. 2003 May 2;300(5620):791-5. Epub 2003 Apr 17.
Diverse plant and animal genetic records from Holocene and Pleistocene sediments.
Willerslev E, Hansen AJ, Binladen J, Brand TB, Gilbert MT, Shapiro B, Bunce M, Wiuf C, Gilichinsky DA, Cooper A.

But I am sure there was at least one more publication which found DNA from many local plants and animals simply in the soil. I cannot find it now.

I meant to post that I was in Dublin in September and read in the local Lonely Planet guide that the exhibits in Dublin's Natural History Museum include a taxidermy of a thylacine. I made a point of going for a look, as I had never seen a stuffed thylacine, a sad sight. There was also a skeleton and three skulls. Dublin wasn't even the centre of the Empire, although I read somewhere that a lot of the exhibits were from someone's private collection.

Allen

I've not read through this thread, but I'm pretty sure that this will have been posted before; but just in case:

Here's the footage and clips of the last Thylacine:

http://www.naturalworlds.org/thylacine/films/films.htm

I've watched the videos many times over the years, and "sad" doesn't really describe how I feel while watching them. It's such a fascinating-looking Animal, and it never looks quite real to me, but of course it was real. The fact that the species wasn't even guilty of the "crimes" it was punished for makes it harder to accept that we caused it's extinction.

I'd like to think that our Species has learned from what happened to the Thylacine, but we haven't have we?

I meant to post that I was in Dublin in September and read in the local Lonely Planet guide that the exhibits in Dublin's Natural History Museum include a taxidermy of a thylacine. I made a point of going for a look, as I had never seen a stuffed thylacine, a sad sight. There was also a skeleton and three skulls. Dublin wasn't even the centre of the Empire, although I read somewhere that a lot of the exhibits were from someone's private collection.

Allen

There is a pretty good (if that word can be used in this context) specimen in the Grant Museum of Zoology in London (alongside a Quagga and a case of Dodo bones) which is worth a look if people are in London and interested in that sort of thing. It's quite a small museum which doesn't take long to get round but is proper old school in terms of displaying specimens and hence has some interesting stuff on the shelves.

Allen

I remember being impressed and saddened as a child seeing a stuffed thylacine in the National Museum of Wales in Cardiff. Also, the Natural History museum in London used to have one. I assume both are still on show as nobody is going to throw out a presumably extinct animal.

I remember being impressed and saddened as a child seeing a stuffed thylacine in the National Museum of Wales in Cardiff. Also, the Natural History museum in London used to have one. I assume both are still on show as nobody is going to throw out a presumably extinct animal.

I was in the Natural History Museum in London myself last July but didn't see a stuffed thylacine. It was a bit of a rushed visit, 2-3 hours, I suppose, so I might have missed some of the rooms. Can anyone confirm whether the stuffed thylacine is still on display?

I have the same reaction as ChrisKten to seeing the films of thylacines when they were still alive.

Allen

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back