• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

In flight shots with Nikon Fieldscope EDG85 (2 Viewers)

Jason Bugay Reyes

Malaysia
Taken with Nikon FSA-L2 DSLR Photo Adapter on Nikon D300s. So far, I'm happy with the results produced from these combo and my shooting range starts from 500mm - 750mm for stationary and in flight shots.

For 750mm - 1750mm, depending with light condition, I normally switched to video mode with external microphone to get the records. Means I have options either still images or videos or both at the same time while shooting birds and other wildlife :king:

My combo :

DSCN1160+Nikon+Fieldscope+EDG85.jpg

Now I'm currently testing the Gimbal head from Jobu BW Pro and found out that, it is much better shooting on straight scope with Gimbal head than on my video head. But I reckoned with video head especially the Manfrotto 501 as seen on my picture, 501 Long Plate are required to balance the scope with camera because it is back heavy.

JAY_2643 Great Egret.jpg JAY_3966 Black-winged Kite.jpgJAY_8727 Wandering Whistling Duck.jpg JAY_2351 Little Spiderhunter.jpg

Happy digiscoping ;)

Horukuru there is an octopus attacking your scope.;) Oh that is just wires hanging on it. Great pictures and set up you got there.:t:
Regards, Steve

A quick question. Do you prefer using the straight EDG scope compared to your old angled ED82 with your DSLR.

It was difficult last time when I tried using the straight ED82 to get on my target but with EDG85, it is much faster because of the body design. When I had my angled ED82, by practiced, I could get to my subjects on the scope easily with the aid of cable tie :king:

With straight EDG85, no problem too ;)

For digiscoping with compact camera, I preferred using angled body and on DSLR, straight is much better especially the weight and etc :smoke:

Horukuru there is an octopus attacking your scope.;) Oh that is just wires hanging on it. Great pictures and set up you got there.:t:
Regards, Steve

Heheheh thanks Steve and I have changed to shorter cable for the mic few days ago o:D

Horukuru,
We don't have those birds here in Pennsylvania. I know this is the case because Steve told me so!:-O

What kind are they?

Great pictures by the way!

Bob

Horukuru,
We don't have those birds here in Pennsylvania. I know this is the case because Steve told me so!:-O

What kind are they?

Great pictures by the way!

Bob

Sorry forgotten to put the name of birds hehehe and the 1st is Great Egret, 2nd is Black-shouldered Kite, 3rd Wandering Whistling Duck and last is the Little Spiderhunter heeeee

In-flight and digiscoping. Those are two words you don't often see in the same sentence. :t:

These are pretty good Horu. What ISO and shutter speed settings are you using? Does Nikon give you the effective f number with that setup? How are you focusing?

That's quite a bazooka you're hauling through the jungle my friend. Eat your wheaties ;)

In-flight and digiscoping. Those are two words you don't often see in the same sentence. :t:

These are pretty good Horu. What ISO and shutter speed settings are you using? Does Nikon give you the effective f number with that setup? How are you focusing?

That's quite a bazooka you're hauling through the jungle my friend. Eat your wheaties ;)

Heeeee thanks Kevin and the range starts from 500mm f5.9 - 1750mm f21. But in Exif data and camera data, it showed only f13.

Focusing is done manually and and my default IS0 is from ISO 400 and above ;)

Maybe I should have been more specific Horu.

I know focus is manual but do you use the viewfinder or the LCD (live view)? The reason I ask is that when I've tried two different SLR/scope adapters (Fujinon and older Nikon) on cameras w/o live view, the focus was difficult and very slow. The viewfinder is pretty dim with these devices, at least what I've used. I never could get consistent enough results, for my satisfaction.

Technique matters a lot as well. For instance, anticipating you subject and pre-focusing on something at similar range to keep what you want within the depth of field. This, of course makes moving subjects very challenging.

How's the sharpness with your rig for close ups?

Maybe I should have been more specific Horu.

I know focus is manual but do you use the viewfinder or the LCD (live view)? The reason I ask is that when I've tried two different SLR/scope adapters (Fujinon and older Nikon) on cameras w/o live view, the focus was difficult and very slow. The viewfinder is pretty dim with these devices, at least what I've used. I never could get consistent enough results, for my satisfaction.

Technique matters a lot as well. For instance, anticipating you subject and pre-focusing on something at similar range to keep what you want within the depth of field. This, of course makes moving subjects very challenging.

How's the sharpness with your rig for close ups?

I seldom use Live View for shooting except recording on video because the viewfinder for D300s is bright and very good for me. I did shoot sun with Live View because of the strong lights seen from the viewfinder last time. The picture is at my gallery in April posting.

For close up result, check the Golden-naped Barbet at my gallery. I resized and cropped for composition :)

Overall, these combo is useful for my needs while leading bird trips in my place because I don't have to carry extra lenses except for landscape which I used occasionally heeeeee

Wow! Terrific Horu. Nice capture of a great bird, well done.

It seems that new Nikon setup is very nice indeed. Good for you. B :)

Hehehe thanks a lot Kevin ;) and my Nikon ED50 I still used it if I really have to walk high up on hills for certain species such as Blue-banded Pitta and Hose's Broadbill then if I saw it after few hours walking then I smoke :smoke: hahahah as a celebration for my clients because both are endemics to Borneo and so difficult to see !

Other bird in flight digiscoped with my combo :king:

Great Frigatebird ~ rare resident species in Borneo and found only at few islands. These one was seen circling above the hotel where I was staying with friend few months ago heeeeeeeee

JAY_0182 Great Frigatebird.jpg

Happy birding ;)

Sorry forgotten to put the name of birds hehehe and the 1st is Great Egret, 2nd is Black-shouldered Kite, 3rd Wandering Whistling Duck and last is the Little Spiderhunter heeeee

Thanks, Horukuru!

We do have the Great Egret here in Pennsylvania. I saw one a week or so ago out on the lake that is behind my American Legion Post. I was sitting at the Bar looking out the window that overlooks the lake. B :)B :)
Bob

Was that the time when, after sitting at the bar a while longer, you started to see the Penguins ? Perhaps you mistook them for Wandering Whistling Ducks? In Ireland they say if you're on the Guinness you can see Toucans too...

"If I seem to refer to binoculars, it's just an optical allusion".

Last edited:
Few more shots from my recent birding tours with Nikon Fieldscope EDG85, 30x eyepiece via Nikon FSB-6 Adapter on Nikon P5100

Maroon Langur, juvenile Wallace's Hawk Eagle, Red-naped Trogon and Whiskered Treeswift

DSCN0112%2BMaroon%2BLangur.jpg DSCN0013%2BWallace%2527s%2BHawk%2BEagle.jpg DSCN0202%2BRed-naped%2BTrogon.jpg DSCN0336%2BWhiskered%2BTreeswift.jpg

The 30x eyepiece is amazing but there is a big differences between Nikon P5100 and P7000 I used last time. I would suggest to get the Nikon P7000 for better HD video with input for external microphone, RAW format, faster frame rates and good high ISO as I normally have to shoot above ISO 400 in the rainforest. :king:

Nikon EDG 65mm Fieldscope

Here are some recent pictures taken with the EDG 65mm angled Fieldscope, FSA-L2 adapter, and D200.

Attachments

• Ross's Gull-0236.jpg
    Ross's Gull-0236.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 366
  • Ross's Gull 2-0104.jpg
    Ross's Gull 2-0104.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 348
  • Ross's Gull 2-0024.jpg
    Ross's Gull 2-0024.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 317
  • Ross's Gull 2-0066.jpg
    Ross's Gull 2-0066.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 344
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back