• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Imagic BGA VHD anouncement (1 Viewer)

typo

For those that missed Pete's post in another thread the latest incarnation of the popular Imagic line, the BGA VHD, is due to arrive next month. It now features ED glass and oliphobic coatings. I gather we should expect striking similarities to a much vaunted US model. ;)

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3507301&postcount=517

Their website shows a new MM4 travel scope is on the way too.
http://www.opticron.co.uk

David

Last edited:
Typo,

The current listed model apparently does not have oliphobic coatings but does have "VHD optical system incorporating a high quality ED glass objective system, phase corrected prisms with Oasis prism coating S-type multi-coating to all air/glass surfaces". So is the oliphobic coating the big deal or are there hidden treasures?

I know the Opticron names are confusing.

The DBA VHD is a dual hinge design that has been listed for a while now. The new Imagic BGA VHD arriving next month is single hinge design. I belive there are other design differences besides the hinge count and the oliphobic coating but I don't know the details or where it fits in their pricing structure.

David

Typo,
For those of us who are less familiar with the Opticron range, read less regularly in this forum and/or are less alert you might perhaps expand a bit on that ";)"?;)
Adding in edit: What a clod, only now I clicked on the link you have provided.
Adding in another edit: Actually, you might like to explain, further to Pete's post, what is the common origin, who else makes clones of this, etc. Thank you.

Last edited:
Typo,
For those of us who are less familiar with the Opticron range, read less regularly in this forum and/or are less alert you might perhaps expand a bit on that ";)"?;)
Adding in edit: What a clod, only now I clicked on the link you have provided.
Adding in another edit: Actually, you might like to explain, further to Pete's post, what is the common origin, who else makes clones of this, etc. Thank you.

I wasn't being mysterious, I just don't know much.

I'd heard, as Pete makes clear, the new Imagic BGA VHD is an incremental development of a model line that Opticron developed with the manufacturer over the course of nearly 20 years. I might be wrong but I think the DBA VHD was a totally new model for Opticron.

Davidl

Thanks, David. Again, sorry I now find I missed something, this time by Pete, who I see has given the name of the actual manufr, KK (i.e. Kamakura Koki). Their role in the binocular world, BTW, is still a mystery to me. But there is something else here that I still don't understand. After this type of collaboration, can a co. marketing another make simply "hijack" legally a design developed across the years by the original co. and the manufr?

But there is something else here that I still don't understand. After this type of collaboration, can a co. marketing another make simply "hijack" legally a design developed across the years by the original co. and the manufr?

I've heard Pete make one or two observations on this topic.... which I couldn't possibly repeat. :eek!: I have no idea what if any issues might apply here.

David

Last edited:
After this type of collaboration, can a co. marketing another make simply "hijack" legally a design developed across the years by the original co. and the manufr?

The optics business in Japan has been, in the main, run by family-owned and operated companies for many, many years and the culture of that country determines that business is done honourably. Without explicit contracts, NDAs, limitations of supply etc. we and other OEMs are usually working on honourable terms.

Conversely, when dealing with some other countries in the supply chain we come across some very blatant "technology transfer". As an example, we sent one of our eyepieces to an optics manufacturer in order that they could tune a scope design to suit that eyepiece. Some few months later they sent a sample for us to evaluate for purchase of new eyepiece they had "developed" which was identical to the one we'd sent them for the scope tuning...

Imagic BGA VHD will sit below the DBA VHD in price at around £450 and is expected to ship in February, replacing the outgoing Verano BGA HD (check your local dealer for end of line sale bargains!). We will be lining up a number of reviews and tests for the Imagic over the coming weeks and months.

HTH

Pete

Pete,

Thanks for the information. One thing I wonder in regards to this new model is Field of View. In general, Opticron's offerings lack the wider field of views offered by some competitors in the same price range - is this something the new Imagic intends to rectify?

Justin

Hi Justin

The specifications for the Imagic BGA VHD are for 7.2º/378ft (8x42) and 6.5º/339ft (10x42) - comparable to the Tract version of the KK ADR chassis I believe.

HTH

Cheers, Pete

Yes Pete, I believe that to be comparable to the Toric/Conquest HD/Trinovid HD, etc... Not exactly what I prefer, but not poor at the same.

The optics business in Japan...
Conversely, when dealing with some other countries...
Imagic BGA VHD...
HTH
Pete

Thank you, Pete.

First, I googled for "acronym HTH". The first search result gave: (1) Hope that helps, (2) How the hell. Despite Typo's revelation in post #8, I think you mean (1).

I also googled "acronym NDA". FWIW to other readers, that's non-disclosure agreement.

With your gentlemanly restraint the specific present matter still remains a mystery to me. What you do explain is, of course, very useful to me to know about the general situation.

As for the Opticron details kindly provided, where I am it is virtually not possible to try out binoculars. Recently I was briefly interested in the 12x25 Verano. I once had the 8x24 BGA-T-PC, but its limitations drove me to go for "alpha".

Hello Pete. Thanks for the information. I just have a quick question. If the Verano's are to be discontinued in favor of these new Imagic's, does that mean that we can expect the new Imagic BGA VHD line to include an 8x32 model to replace the outgoing 8x32 Verano BGA HD?

Sorry - forgot to respond to the question about 8x32.

The Imagic BGA VHD line will NOT include an 8x32 model. The Verano BGA HD 8x32 did not sell as well as expected - it was somewhat heavy and large for the 32mm class - so we haven't planned to replace that part of the line.

The 50mm models will be replaced (8.5x and 10x).

HTH

Cheers, Pete

Pete,

Hmm, with regard to the 8x32 situation, will there be a higher end (in terms of the Opticron product price range) 8x32 available in any of the models at some point?

The new Imagic VHD went up on the Opticron site earlier this week, priced between £449 and £499.

David

Sorry - forgot to respond to the question about 8x32.

The Imagic BGA VHD line will NOT include an 8x32 model. The Verano BGA HD 8x32 did not sell as well as expected - it was somewhat heavy and large for the 32mm class - so we haven't planned to replace that part of the line.

The 50mm models will be replaced (8.5x and 10x).

HTH

Cheers, Pete

Sad news. I'm very fond of the Verano BGA HD 8x32 (and its predecessor the BGA SE). It's good optically, has an 8 degree field of view and fits nicely in my (admittedly small) hands. I don't consider it to be heavy at just over 600g, but hey if it hasn't sold. I'll probably be using mine for many years to come.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back