• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x32's...Verano BGA HD or Imagic BGA SE? (1 Viewer)

coopershawk

Has anyone used both of these? I think I've read somewhere that the optics are the same, the only difference being the ergonomics. Does that mean the focus tension/speed are the same in both? Has anyone noticed any play/slop?

The reason I'm interested in these particular models is that I have an opticron bga classic 7x36 and really like the focuser. Very smooth, precise, no play at all. I'm mostly sold on 7x (looove the depth of field), but curiosity has me looking at one of these 8x32's for the wider FOV. The only other 8x32's I've looked through have been the sightron and mojave. Sightron was returned because the eye cups annoyingly fogged up for me whenever I looked through them for longer than 10 seconds or so. Mojave was returned because the focuser was way too stiff. If anyone could compare the focusers on the verano or imagic to any of these models I'd really appreciate that.

Thanks!

EDIT:
Also, my preference tends to be towards close bridge designs, so I'm leaning towards imagic right now. This is because my IPD is somewhat narrow, so I usually can't utilize much of the space between the barrels of open bridge designs. BUT, the thin barrels of the sightron did work for me. Are the barrels of the verano a similar size? Or are they fatter?

Last edited:
Verano is are fatter I am pretty sure. Have never tried the Imagic version but have been pretty happy with the Optics and ergonomics of the Verano 8x32. No slop in the focus. Good dampening. I will take it and the Sightron out tomorrow and compare them for you.

Michael,

I understand, as the x42s at least, Opticron carried over the same optical design from the Imagic SE into the Verano HD. There may have been a subtle change of colour balance due to later coatings but for me the view characteristics stayed the same. I may have got my models mixed up but there may have been two versions of the Imagic SE 8x32. If so, I'm sure the second one would be the same as the Verano HD. It might be worth checking with Pete Gamby on that.

We are told the new Imagic BGA VHD uses the same chassis as the old Imagic. The field of view has gained a few feet, and from a quick look, the CA has improved (as you might expect), and to me the sharpness is much better. I don't know if they intend to add the x32 to the range.

David

" Also, my preference tends to be towards close bridge designs, so I'm leaning towards imagic right now. This is because my IPD is somewhat narrow, so I usually can't utilize much of the space between the barrels of open bridge designs. BUT, the thin barrels of the sightron did work for me. Are the barrels of the verano a similar size? Or are they fatter?

I have the 8x32 Verano BGA HD and the barrels measure 45mm ( 1.77" ) and the IPD is 56-74mm compared to the slightly wider 58-74 of the Imagic BGA SE. The focusing is very smooth on the Verano and I have been pleasantly surprised that they show no CA, no matter how hard I try to induce it. It seems both binoculars have exactly the same optical specs. The eyecups look identical and comparing the pictures of them appear to have the same width barrels.

http://www.opticron.co.uk/Pages/verano_bga_hd.htm

http://www.opticron.co.uk/Pages/im_bga_se_3242.htm

Les.

Last edited:
Michael,

I understand, as the x42s at least, Opticron carried over the same optical design from the Imagic SE into the Verano HD. There may have been a subtle change of colour balance due to later coatings but for me the view characteristics stayed the same. I may have got my models mixed up but there may have been two versions of the Imagic SE 8x32. If so, I'm sure the second one would be the same as the Verano HD. It might be worth checking with Pete Gamby on that.

We are told the new Imagic BGA VHD uses the same chassis as the old Imagic. The field of view has gained a few feet, and from a quick look, the CA has improved (as you might expect), and to me the sharpness is much better. I don't know if they intend to add the x32 to the range.

David

Hi David,

According to Pete Gamby..."The Imagic BGA VHD line will NOT include an 8x32 model. The Verano BGA HD 8x32 did not sell as well as expected - it was somewhat heavy and large for the 32mm class - so we haven't planned to replace that part of the line." (http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3512382&postcount=15). Otherwise I would wait. :-C The 8x42 is interesting, but the main reason I'm looking at 8x32's is for that wide FOV. ;) The VHD is also a bit out of my price range.

I'll be sure to give Pete a PM. It's nice having an opticron rep that frequents the forums.

Oh and I wanted to thank you for posting your thoughts on the 7x36 over the years. I dismissed the binocular initially because of FOV, but your posts were what led me to trying it out. I'm glad I did, I would have missed out on a great binocular.

EDIT: I think I've read somewhere that you've tried the verano 8x32? Do you remember how the focuser compares to the bga classic?

Last edited:
" Also, my preference tends to be towards close bridge designs, so I'm leaning towards imagic right now. This is because my IPD is somewhat narrow, so I usually can't utilize much of the space between the barrels of open bridge designs. BUT, the thin barrels of the sightron did work for me. Are the barrels of the verano a similar size? Or are they fatter?

I have the 8x32 Verano BGA HD and the barrels measure 45mm ( 1.77" ) and the IPD is 56-74mm compared to the slightly wider 58-74 of the Imagic BGA SE. The focusing is very smooth on the Verano and I have been pleasantly surprised that they show no CA, no matter how hard I try to induce it. It seems both binoculars have exactly the same optical specs. The eyecups look identical and comparing the pictures of them appear to have the same width barrels.

http://www.opticron.co.uk/Pages/verano_bga_hd.htm

http://www.opticron.co.uk/Pages/im_bga_se_3242.htm

Les.

Les,

Great idea measuring the barrel! If only I'd thought to do that with the sightron. :brains: Maybe Frank could let me know

I think the IPD on either binocular should be fine. My bga classic's IPD is listed as 57-77, and I use a setting a tad wider than the minimum.

It's great to hear about the lack of CA. It's interesting that all of the non-ED binoculars I've tried (bga classic, mojave, sightron) show no CA in the middle, and only slight amounts on the edges. And other newer ED models have shown noticeably more. In fact, the first time I saw CA in the middle of the view was on a maven B2.

Last edited:
Michael,

Oops! I'd forgotten that post. With a couple of much ligher x30/×32s in the lineup it didn't make much sense.

Sorry I don't remember the detail of the Verano HD focus. I would have remembered if it was particularly stiff or any backlash but normally the Japanese made Opticron models in particular are pretty good.

Way back back in 2012 I said the 7x36 Classic might not be the best in the Opticron range but I thought if was possibly the nicest. I've tried a lot since that would beat is optically, and indeed own a few, but it's still probably my most used binocular. Glad you like it too.

David

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back