• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca Butterflies (1 Viewer)

eanin1

Hi Folks
Does anyone know what butterflies can be found on Mallorca in August in particular around the S'Albufera natural park? Is the queen of spain fritillary a possibility.

regards
Sean

Hi Sean

The Balearic Islands have a relatively small list of butterfly species. However, the Queen of Spain Fritillary has been listed as one of them. However, it is not recorded from the Balearic Islands on the Fauna Europaea website, so there may be some doubt.

I've never been there during the summer months but if you do see it in s'Albufera, or anywhere nearby, I would be really interested as it has not been recorded from the reserve.

I've always wondered if it really was present on the Balearic Islands or if they were sightings of the slightly similar-looking Cardinal, which certainly does occur there. I need to try and find the original reference to it being there.

I've just returned from three weeks in the Balearics (two in s'Albufera and one on Cabrera) and saw hardly any butterflies due to it being a late Spring and cool. I was mainly there for the moths, which were also quite poor due to very cold nights. That shouldn't be the case in August!

I hope this helps

Martin

Here's a list of the butterflies of s'Albufera, taken from their species catalogue (which is being up-dated at the moment so the nomenclature may not be up-to-date).

A Monarch butterfly was also found there recently but I learnt this trip that this may have been the result of a release of butterflies during a local wedding!

Martin

HESPERIIDAE
Carcharodus alceae
PAPILIONIDAE
Papilio machaon
PIERIDAE
Anthocaris euphenoides
Colias crocea
Gonepteryx cleopatra
Leptidea sinapis
Pieris brassicae
Pieris napi
Pieris rapae
Pontia daplidice
LYCAENIDAE
Aricia cramera
Callophrys rubi
Celastrina argiolus
Lampides boeticus
Leptotes pirithous
Lycaena phlaeas
Polyommatus bellargus
Polyommatus hispana
Polyommatus icarus
Cacyreus marshalli
NYMPHALIDAE
Charaxes jasius
Danaus chrysippus
Nymphalis antiopa
Argynnis pandora
Vanessa atalanta
Vanessa cardui
Coenonympha pamphilus
Lasiommata megera
Maniola jurtina
Pararge aegeria
Hipparchia fidia
Pyronia cecilia

Thanks Andy and Martin for the info. Martin I will let you know if I come across the fritillary.

regards
Sean

Here's a list of the butterflies of s'Albufera, taken from their species catalogue (which is being up-dated at the moment so the nomenclature may not be up-to-date).

A Monarch butterfly was also found there recently but I learnt this trip that this may have been the result of a release of butterflies during a local wedding!

Martin

HESPERIIDAE
Carcharodus alceae
PAPILIONIDAE
Papilio machaon
PIERIDAE
Anthocaris euphenoides
Colias crocea
Gonepteryx cleopatra
Leptidea sinapis
Pieris brassicae
Pieris napi
Pieris rapae
Pontia daplidice
LYCAENIDAE
Aricia cramera
Callophrys rubi
Celastrina argiolus
Lampides boeticus
Leptotes pirithous
Lycaena phlaeas
Polyommatus bellargus
Polyommatus hispana
Polyommatus icarus
Cacyreus marshalli
NYMPHALIDAE
Charaxes jasius
Danaus chrysippus
Nymphalis antiopa
Argynnis pandora
Vanessa atalanta
Vanessa cardui
Coenonympha pamphilus
Lasiommata megera
Maniola jurtina
Pararge aegeria
Hipparchia fidia
Pyronia cecilia

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back