• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help please (1 Viewer)

Hi pilatus0, on behalf of admin and all the moderators, let me welcome you to Bird Forum.

I'm afraid I can't answer your ID question, but I'm sure there'll be someone along in a minute or two to help.

Why not tell us a bit more about yourself and your area in the Say Hello forum.

Hi there.
It looks like a Sparrowhawk Accipiter nisus to me. Its always hard to assess size in a photo, but that tail looks long and thin, the wing-tip looks broad and it doesn't appear to have the heftiness of a Goshawk.

I kept quiet when I saw it earlier as my ID skills aren't brilliant, but I'm glad you said that Jane as it looks like a Sparrowhawk to me too.

People disagree with me on a daily basis and live to tell the tale! If it were a Goshawk it would have about three times the bodyweight.

On a (slightly) related subject....

On hols last Feb, we flew into Geneva and were driving eastwards along the motorway north of the lake and saw loads of raptors.... There were literally dozens just sat on fenceposts at the side of the road.

I was even more of a learner then that I am now, so have no idea what they were.... anyone familiar with the area, or have seen them??

Ruby

Hi Harry,

Could well have been Buzzards... I believe that sitting on roadside posts is quite common Buzzard behaviour.

As I say, I didn't really have much idea then, but I am a little familiar with Buzzards now, and my recollection was that the Geneva birds were a bit smaller...

Also there were a lot of birds quite close together - probably a couple of dozen within a couple of miles of motorway.... never heard of Buzzards hanging out together like that (mind you, does that sound like very sensible behaviour for any bird of prey??...)

Ruby

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back