• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this a Red-crested Pochard? (1 Viewer)

Blackstart

Saxophonus pinus
Hi all-

A friend sent me this pic and asked me if this is indeed a Red-crested Pochard.

To me it looks like some kind of hybrid, but I am not an expert, and I'm hoping there's someone who can help me with this ID.

Thanks a lot for your help.

-Adam

Attachments

• Pochard.jpg
    Pochard.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 496
I'm not an expert on hybrids, but what I will say is this is definitely not a "pure" R C pochard. The bill color suggests RCP, but the back end reminds me of tufted duck.

I'll now wait for my view to be "blown apart" by a real expert ;)

Yeh, Tufted X Red-crested? (I just found the page of duck hybrids in Mullarney et. al.-- now I see how you guys can jump on these postings....)

Its not Red-crested. I've seen birds like this in collections. I thought it might be a Rosybill, but its not. Just off to make sure its not a full species....

This is a Red-crested Pochard after it has been on the Island of Dr Moreau for a while. I won't hazard a guess at its other ancestor.

And Charles, shouldn't that be "Svensson et al." Let's give the Swedes some credit!

E

Looks most like Rosybill (Netta peposaca, a relative of Red-crested Pochard from South America) to me; probably a subadult male, as adult males have a knob on the base of the bill. But I wouldn't want to rule out a hybrid either.

Edward said:
And Charles, shouldn't that be "Svensson et al." Let's give the Swedes some credit!
Hi Edward,
Mullarney is the first named author on the cover, at least of the UK edition ;)

Michael

Michael Frankis said:
Looks most like Rosybill (Netta peposaca, a relative of Red-crested Pochard from South America) to me; probably a subadult male, as adult males have a knob on the base of the bill. But I wouldn't want to rule out a hybrid either.

Michael

Ah that explains a lot.. I thought Rosybill.. not sure what part of my memory I dredged that up from, but the pic I found had a huge pink knob.... on its bill on its bill!

Hi all,
I think it looks like a Rosybill as well:used to be one at the Lough here in Cork city.
Harry H

And I thought you were pulling our legs with 'Rosybill', Jane...

.... Michael's right, Edward, I just pulled the first name off the cover. Sorry. Swedes are good birds too.

This bird is i believe a Mallard x Red Crested Pochard hybrid. I have a similar duck, (which has generated some discussion on here before) resident on our local pond. I will dig out some pictures and post them on here again for comparison.

Rich

Hi all,
Richard:your bird is an unequivocal Mallard x RC Pochard.
On that note,and having looked up Rosybill on the net,I'm not altogether sure that the initial bird is a Rosybill,but also don't think that it looks like a Mallard x RCP.Perhaps the suggestion of Tufted x RCP is correct...?
Harry H

Harry Hussey said:
Hi all,
Richard:your bird is an unequivocal Mallard x RC Pochard.
On that note,and having looked up Rosybill on the net,I'm not altogether sure that the initial bird is a Rosybill,but also don't think that it looks like a Mallard x RCP.Perhaps the suggestion of Tufted x RCP is correct...?
Harry H
I'm with you on this one Harry! The flanks on 'Adams Bird' certainly look far too bright for an adult drake Rosybill let alone an immature drake. It certainly looks likely to have some Tufted Duck in it somewhere, but as to what other parentage? I wouldn't like to guess!

I am pretty sure the flanks a blown out white due to the exposure not the colour of the bird, look at the Swan (i asume it is) on the right no detail just blown out. I could be wrong of course. Are there any other photos avalible?

Richard

Hi all,

I am sorry to dig this old thread out again, but I think the bird in Question is a Rosybill x Redcrested pochard hybrid.

A subadult Rosybill does seem unlikely, because the plumage is already that of an adult bird (light flanks) and the bill is still not swollen at the base.

If it were a Rosybill it should have white undertail coverts which should at least be partly visible even in that semi-frontal photographic position, like you see at the following site:

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/NDG/Ducks/Poch/BRKRosyB.html

In RC Pochard these are all black!

Another thing: Rosybill does have a black nail, this bird does not - RCPochard does also not have the dark nail. But the Bill is bright red, that excludes hybrids with any Aythya, as in those the bill is at least partly grey or greyish pink (see the Gilham books for hybrids of Rosybill and Aythyas)

However, It fits well to a pic of a hybrid Rosybill-Redcrested Pochard in the same book, which also shows lighter flanks than a pure Rosybill, together with black undertail coverts and a red bill .

Rosybill in France

At a small village in Crecy-La-Chappelle east of Paris France about 50 miles I saw a mated pair of Rosybills in the canals of medieval antiquity near an ancient moulin or water-wheel. As I understand about 6 pairs manage to survive and mate in France from perhaps escapees of old zoos or something. Hope this helps; Gary Nadeau
Blackstart said:
Hi all-

A friend sent me this pic and asked me if this is indeed a Red-crested Pochard.

To me it looks like some kind of hybrid, but I am not an expert, and I'm hoping there's someone who can help me with this ID.

Thanks a lot for your help.

-Adam

I do not know how to use the screens so I will repeat message. I saw a mated pair of Rosybills in the medieval town of Crecy-La-Chappelle in France east of Paris about 50 miles. They were swimming in one of the town's dozens of canals near an ancient water-wheel or moulin. It was a surprise. 6 mated pairs exist in France as I understand. Might be old zoo escappees that survived. Hope this helps. Gary Nadeau

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back