• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great Crested Flycatcher? (1 Viewer)

Digitalbcon

I have had some difficulty identifying this flycatcher. There seem to be a few similar species but the closest that I have come up with is the Great Crested Flycatcher and would like to know if this is the ID for this bird. Both photos were taken on Jan 24 and 28 of 2011 consecutively and taken just outside of Ibagué, Tolima, Colombia at an elevation of approx. 1200 M.

Attachments

• Jan28 187 copy (Medium).jpg
    Jan28 187 copy (Medium).jpg
    116 KB · Views: 96
  • Jan25 162 copy (Medium).jpg
    Jan25 162 copy (Medium).jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Know little of Colombian birds, but I do know GC Flycatchers, and this is not one. Bill is too short, head too small, crest too "perky", among other things. Also suspect it is a different genus.

Best,
Jim

Last edited:
Know little of Colombian birds, but I do know GC Flycatchers, and this is not one. Bill is too short, head too small, crest too "perky", among other things.

Best,
Jim
Agree with Jim - no way is this a Great-crested. As well as all of the above, there seems to be no rufous at all in the tail feathers (cf. this GCFL). Unfortunately, I am not familiar with the possible alternatives (for Colombia) either.

Know little of Colombian birds, but I do know GC Flycatchers, and this is not one. Bill is too short, head too small, crest too "perky", among other things. Also suspect it is a different genus.

Best,
Jim

Thanks Jim! I'll keep looking. It's a migratory flycatcher of some kind given they are not here all year long.

Agree with Jim - no way is this a Great-crested. As well as all of the above, there seems to be no rufous at all in the tail feathers (cf. this GCFL). Unfortunately, I am not familiar with the possible alternatives (for Colombia) either.

Thanks Peter! Well it's good to know that this species is eliminated from the possibilities! Will keep looking!

Thanks Peter! Well it's good to know that this species is eliminated from the possibilities! Will keep looking!

I am quite curious to find out what the correct answer will turn out to be ... I believe that it must be one of the Myiarchus flycatchers, so you can probably start by looking at the local list of members of that genus; unless there's some flycatcher in Columbia (lord knows, you have enough of them...) that is just remarkably Myiarchus - like. (Myiarchusian?).

Peter C.

By the way, Digitalbcon: Dare I ask, why you've got our National Pest as an avatar? Are they much-sought-after in S.A.? :-O

I am quite curious to find out what the correct answer will turn out to be ... I believe that it must be one of the Myiarchus flycatchers, so you can probably start by looking at the local list of members of that genus; unless there's some flycatcher in Columbia (lord knows, you have enough of them...) that is just remarkably Myiarchus - like. (Myiarchusian?).

Peter C.

By the way, Digitalbcon: Dare I ask, why you've got our National Pest as an avatar? Are they much-sought-after in S.A.? :-O

I think I have found the correct ID. The problem is trying to correlate photos and illustrations in books with what is on camera! The size, and other characteristics (color and wing bars etc.) are quite similar. But it seems that it is Myiarchus tuberculifer.

Peter C.

Re: Avatar. I live in Colombia but am Canadian so tried to combine something aviary from Canada and the Colombian flag. I had thought of the blue-winged teal duck (here they are known as "Patos Canadienses"...given their wide range, I find it funny that they are known as Canadian ducks! Those Canada geese are really becoming a pest everywhere (except here!) Lol!

It is an Elaneia sp. Could be Yellow-bellied (E. flavogaster) or a few others (E. cristata or E. chiriquensis) but I would have to look at some references.'
Andy

It is an Elaneia sp. Could be Yellow-bellied (E. flavogaster) or a few others (E. cristata or E. chiriquensis) but I would have to look at some references.'
Andy

Yep, it's an Elaenia. Yellow-bellied would be the best candidate afaik, and I guess that's what it is.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back