• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown in Nepal (1 Viewer)

MarkHows

Mostly Mammals
I saw this bird at about 18,000 feet in Nepal, sorry for the quality of photos, it looked in focus at the time but after climbing all that way!
It was taken in winter time and the bird was slightly larger than a robin, does anyone have any ideas as to what it is

Thanks

Mark

Attachments

• nepal.jpg
    nepal.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 473
I would stab at some kind of accentor Mark - the shape, size and basic plumage patterns would certainly fit this family - it's obviously not a european Alpine Accentor but I seem to remember there is a species called Himalayan Accentor, perhaps it's that?

Another thought - I've just trawled the old memory banks and there is one called rufous-breasted or red-breasted accentor (something along those lines)........which would certainly fit descriptively.

tentative suggestion

There's a bird called a robin accentor which looks rather like it. There's a pic if you scroll down the left-hand page
Here

Last edited:
Or, more euphoniously, Robin Dunnock. Latin name Prunella rubeculoides.

It is in the MacKinnon & Phillipps field guide to the birds of China (as it also occurs in Tibet), if you want to read up more.

Michael

Yep, Robin Accentor (Prunella rubeculoides). Can also be found in Grimmett, Inskipp & Inskipp (2000) Helm Field Guides - Birds of Nepal, Prakash Books; p.252

I picked up a copy of A birdwatchers' guide to Nepal by Carol Inskipp at the weekend.
It lists robin accentor as a fairly common altitudinal migrant.

I happened to notice an excellent photo of a robin accentor on the Kent Ornithology website. When you get there, click on Photo gallery and read down the right hand column (away birds).
Click HERE

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back