• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID Please (1 Viewer)

Roy C

Occasional bird snapper
Looked through Collins but cannot ID this bird - probably something common but I am poor on these little brown uns. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_5153.jpg
    IMG_5153.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 337
So we seem to have a Stonechat/Whinchat situation here.

Would anyone like to say why they think it is one or the other?

ID Threads are most useful when they contain some details on how people came to the conclusion(s) they did.

Has white coverts of Stonechat, but white supercilium of Whinchat.

As someone who's had no experience with either bird (been studying Europe guides like crazy lately...) I'm stumped so I think I'll just drink with Adey... B :)

This is interesting; a real conundrum.

The bird appears to show the distinct white collar, short primary projection and extensive orange underparts of a Stonechat - and the pale orange uppertail coverts and huge supercilium of a Whinchat! I can't convince myself either way.

martin

Andrew Rowlands said:
So we seem to have a Stonechat/Whinchat situation here.

Would anyone like to say why they think it is one or the other?

ID Threads are most useful when they contain some details on how people came to the conclusion(s) they did.

Looking again this morning, it seems as if the bird's supercillium could be over-exposed and the bird does look a bit 'tatty' so this could be a well-worn Stonechat - in which case, apologies for being wrong (it has been known!) -but the reason I went for Stonechat was that I've never seen one with such a prominent super - generally, if you saw a bird with a super like that at this time of year you'd go for Whinchat without looking at anything else.

Female Stonechats are usually like dull versions of the male - I've attached 3 shots (sorry, haven't got any Whinchats for comparison!)

Attachments

• stonechat 1.jpg
    stonechat 1.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 199
  • stonechat 2.jpg
    stonechat 2.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 186
  • stonechat 3.jpg
    stonechat 3.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 201
martin kitching said:
and the pale orange uppertail coverts... of a Whinchat!

martin

My first Stonechat shot shows orangey upper tail feathers (photo taken in January) so that just leaves the huge supercillium. I suppose the best thing to do is ask Roy if he got any other shots of the bird from different angles, in different light, etc., that show less of a super

Adey Baker said:
My first Stonechat shot shows orangey upper tail feathers (photo taken in January) so that just leaves the huge supercillium. I suppose the best thing to do is ask Roy if he got any other shots of the bird from different angles, in different light, etc., that show less of a super

Allowing for the effect of light on the colour of the uppertail coverts, and the possibility of over-exposure over-emphasising the supercilium, I'll go with Stonechat.

martin

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back