• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I'm not sure what this is (1 Viewer)

Matt228

here is a picture of a huge bird i saw outside my house. im not sure what it is. the second picture is just the first one but zoomed in.
birdsmall.jpg

birdbig.jpg

Hi Matt and welcome to the Bird Forum. I'ld have to say you've got yourself a Bald Eagle or a reasonable facsimile :)

Despite the poor lighting in the photograph, I'd also say it's a bald eagle......and one heck of a yard bird!

Arnel Guanlao

Last edited:
It looks like a red-tailed hawk to me. The bill doesn't look heavy enough to be a bald eagle. The head look darkish with lighter upper breast to throat. It could be another buteo though, but this is my gut feeling. Van

Well the pine is definitely Pinus strobus. That enables some size assessment to be made. Pinus strobus needles are 8-10cm (3-4") long. This bird, from head to vent (excluding the tail, cocked up out of view!), appears approx. six times as long as the needles, or about 50-60cm (20-24"). Bearing in mind the bird's perching position also results in fairly marked foreshortening, the total bill-to-tail measurement will be quite a bit larger. I'd say probably something like 70-80cm (28-32"). That puts it in the size range of Bald Eagle (31" in Sibley), rather than Red-tailed Hawk (19" in Sibley).

So I'll stick with Bald Eagle. As to age, I'd guess subadult - a good amount of white on the breast, but the head doesn't appear fully white yet (tho' that may be because of silhouetting with the bright light behind).

Michael

(edited for a couple of typos)

Last edited:
Hi Matt228,

No need to apologize for the lighting in the pic.....you can't control the weather, after all! I'm sure if I had a camera lying around, and I saw a big raptor like that in my back yard, I'd grab it and take any shot that I possibly could of it.

I agree with what Michael says. I think the angle of the subject and the lighting obscure the bill quite a bit in this photograph, so you can't really use the bill size to identify the bird here. Plus, the neck seems a bit too thick and muscular for a Red-tailed Hawk, and I have never seen a Red-tailed Hawk with a profusion of white feathers around the base of its neck like that. I have, however, seen it on Bald Eagles.

Arnel Guanlao

I've got to go along with the buteo theory on this one - presumablt Red-tailed Hawk. The extent of the white on the breat of this bird looks too great for a bald Eagle to me and it is just possible to make out the darker hood and pale stripe up the centre of the throat of a Red-tail.

I think that the apparent bulk is exaggerated by the fact that the tail is hidden from view (perhaps because the bird is trying to balance and is cocking it to aid this).

MV

Hi MV,
Query - How do you account for a Buteo which should only be 5 times (fully stretched and including the tail) the length of the pine needles?

On my computer screen, the longest needles measure 12mm, the bird 70mm, a six-fold size difference excluding the tail and with the bird foreshortened due to perching (as you say!) cocked, more-or-less horizontal. I just can't make it small enough for a Buteo. I also agree with Arnel, I think the bill is largely not showing, pointed almost straight at the camera with only the tip showing to one side.

It'd be interesting to know where this is - all we know is 'New York', which is a pretty huge state, this doesn't have to be in a Manhattan city garden! Matt, can you give a few more details about the area & habitat, please?

One more point - Pinus strobus branches are not overly flexible. That is a heavy bird, to bend a branch like that to the extent it is doing. When I've seen Buzzards (close to same size as R-t Hawk) perched on similar size branches, they haven't bent that much.

Michael

Michael,

I bow to your far greater knowledge of trees and stuff like that but I just can't make this bird look like a Bald Eagle no matter how much I manipulate the image. I didn't mention the bill in my earlier posting but I doublt that the massive bill of a Bald Eagle could be so easily concealed - what is visible looks like the petite bill of a buteo to me.

I'm not aware of any plumage stage in which a Bald Eagle can show a white breast contrasting with a darker head as this bird shows. That said, I'm not prepared to state what this bird is with great certainty as the photo's just don't allow it.

MV

I live in Ulster Park very close to the hudson river. we're surrounded by woods. There are a lot of red tailed hawks but this seemed bigger.
I would post a link directly to a map but it always changes.
just go here and do a search for ulster park ny.

I hate to weigh in with the experts. I think a Bald Eagle-- if it chose such a perch-- would bend the pine even more. I think the white patch is too high for a juvenile Bald Eagle. I think the bill and head are too small for a Bald Eagle. And I don't think there's a Bald Eagle so close to your house.

Charles Harper said:
I hate to weigh in with the experts. I think a Bald Eagle-- if it chose such a perch-- would bend the pine even more. I think the white patch is too high for a juvenile Bald Eagle. I think the bill and head are too small for a Bald Eagle. And I don't think there's a Bald Eagle so close to your house.
You might be right about the other stuff but i know there are bald eagles in the area, they're making a comeback. i saw it in the newspaper a while ago.

Hi Matt,

Here's a better map website:
http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=18&n=4634057&e=584874&size=l

Or even larger scale:
http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=18&n=4634057&e=584874&s=25&size=m

You have good habitat for Bald Eagles with the Hudson River close by, and a huge reservoir a few miles northwest (just off the map link above!).

Keep a look out in case it comes back, and if a Red-tail perches in the same tree, grab a pic to show us all how much smaller it is - no way is a Red-tail a foot across its shoulders, and this bird is!

Michael

I believe the bird is a Red-tailed Hawk. The coloration of the dark head and lighter breast is consistent with this species of hawk and that pattern would not be seen on a Bald Eagle. And if you will permit me, the "jizz" of the bird in the photo just seems to suggest Red-tailed Hawk to me.

Last edited:
Wow Charles! You have been away for awhile!

Eagles are "easy" to find here in the Northeast. Every year seems to bring increased numbers. I've had one fly over my head while delivering my postal route in Bethlehem, Pa.

I've made my call, correct or not.

dennis

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back