• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull i.d. needed (1 Viewer)

CJW

Hit-and-run WUM
All,
I have an idea what this is, but would appreciate some input from a few others.
The bird stood out amongst the rest of the birds as being very white-headed with an all-black bill (all the other gulls of similar age showed varying amounts of pale on the bill). It had a broad but neat, black tail band.
Sorry about the poor quality of the shots but I hope you can help.
CJ

Attachments

• gull3.jpg
    gull3.jpg
    354.4 KB · Views: 435
No problem - it's a SEAGULL.

:-O

Shows quite a lot of michahellis characters, but I'm not 100% on that, particularly the 1st photo shows a very short primary extension while the 3rd doesn't show any indication that it is missing any outer primaries. I'm going to remain uncommitted on this thing. Let's hope Malvolio comes out of hiding.

Michael

Pro-michahellis - stout bill still all-black at this age, large body size, white head,
Anti-michahellis - as well as the short primaries, also the attenuated head, tertial tip pattern not good.

On balance, probably not, or at least not a typical, michahellis

Yeah, I'll stick with Seagull.

Michael

Thanks a bunch guys!
PK:
I hadn't realised that 1st Summer/2nd Winter Herring Gulls could have all dark bills, I can't find anything in the literature saying so.
Michael:
Watcha mean tertial tip pattern not good? What should it look like for michahellis?
I think I'll give up on gulls they're a real pain in the a***!!!

HI CJW,
I am going of your first photo, and thought( larus-marinus )
great black-backed gull, 2nd-winter. but on reflection I will stick with my first thought. larus-argentatus herring gull 2nd winter.
the only doubt I still have is in regard to there being no pink
base to bill. just my opinion still learning gull I.D. but what fun.
bert.

CJW said:
Watcha mean tertial tip pattern not good? What should it look like for michahellis?

Hi CJ,

Too much white at the tip. These tertials match GBB better. I too am half-wondering if that's what it is. L. (c. / a.) michahellis 'should' have mostly black tertials, with just a narrow white margin - similar to LBB.

Originally posted by CJW
I think I'll give up on gulls they're a real pain in the a***!!!

I know the feeling :stuck: :h?:

Michael

Hmmm.
I don't think it's GBB - aren't those 'adult-type' feathers on the mantle? If so they're way too pale.
I think Pterodactyl Cod is probably right, but the bill is a real oddity isn't it?
Where's Harry Hussey when you need him?

The tertial pattern is fine for a michahellis (or Herring) of this age but the heavily barred tail coverts aren't good at all for michahellis and everything else is fine for Herring (prob. a large male). The grey tone on the upperparts is too pale for michahellis.

Julian

Hi all

I think this is a Herring Gull 2nd yr. The feathering that is coming thru on the mantle doesn't look dark enough for either YLG or GBB
Certainly not a GBB as the head isn't pale enough either, but then isn't a pale head a feature of YLG too? In the 1st photo all the birds appear to be in a similar state of moult which is another thing against YLG

Mark

Righto, thanks chaps. Very helpful.
I'm still going to give up on gulls - too much variation to end up with what is, in the end; a tip-frequenting, disease spreading, noisy, unattractive bird!!!
And the few attractive ones are easy to i.d.

Oh God! Don't start with that one Pete! Yes you do, but I think the guys are right with Herring Gull for this one.

Gulls are GREAT! the challenge they represent keeps your birding brain active, so don't let them get you down just enjoy them

Hi Mark, I think this is an aesthetics thing. I just don't see the attraction of the larger gulls. Yes, stuff like Sabine's, Ross's, Little etc etc are attractive birds (it has nothing to do with their rarity value), but come on! Hering Gulls, Lesser Black-backs Yellow-legged can't possibly be described as great!! Perhaps it has something to do with their habitat choices.....

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back