• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Male or female Bullfinch (1 Viewer)

RoyH

Hi all
My friend sent me this image of a female Bullfinch would you please confirm the sex of this bird looking in my reference books I have come to the conclusion its a male. This would make my friend very happy if I am wrong plus it would put my mind at rest.

Regards,

Roy.

Attachments

Hi Roy,

Looks a bit peculiar to me.... bit too pink to be a female, but not pink enough to be a male!!

I also don't recall seeing the whitish coloration on the neck before.

Maybe some sort of exotic seasonal plumage - hopefully someone a bit more knowledgable will be along to put us out of our misery...

All the best... Ruby

I would say a female Roy but I am no expert! I think the female has pinkish-grey underparts compared to the male's more contrasting plumage with striking pink-red underparts and grey back. I agree with Ruby,however, it doesn't look typical of either one or the other! Help!

Last edited:
I think it must be a female, albeit a bit strange, male Bullfinch at this time of year is going to be really bright red on the breast.

TWM said:
I think it must be a female, albeit a bit strange, male Bullfinch at this time of year is going to be really bright red on the breast.

I agree with TWM (Tim I believe) that it is probably a female as it is not bright enough to be male and finches have more or less full post-juvenile moult so they become more or less 'adult' in plumage from early autumn, retaining just a few juvenile feathers.

I know that Utsira BO in Norway caught one bird last autmn they could not sex, so these 'intergrades' do occur. They could even be intersexes - it does happen.

But on balance, more female than male features.

bullfinch mutations

bullfinch mutations though rare do occur in the wild and at least two varieties occur in captivity though i note this bird is not rung. one colour mutation is dark and is very similar to this particular photo though they are not as common as the light colour mutations as they are not as colourful. many other species of british finch can also be found in different colour morphs and some look completely different from the standard i d guide colour

I agree that it looks closer to a female than a male, but has anyone got any thoughts on the white neck?? Don't think I've seen that before....

Ruby said:
Hi Roy,

Looks a bit peculiar to me.... bit too pink to be a female, but not pink enough to be a male!!

I also don't recall seeing the whitish coloration on the neck before.

Maybe some sort of exotic seasonal plumage - hopefully someone a bit more knowledgable will be along to put us out of our misery...

All the best... Ruby

Hello Ruby, David and others that you all kindly for replying to my ID request. Looks like my friend could be right in thinking its a female. I have been talking to another local friend he was sure its a male. I will tell my friend BF member geoff.cool of your remarks then he can read them for his-self.

Many thanks I will concede and go along with the experts.

Regards.

Roy.

Its certainly a fascinating one Roy.

Ruby's question about the white neck, which I too have never seen before, has got me thinking (something of a miracle!). I know I plumped for female but I'm now wondering if this bird might be a partially leucistic male! Does leucism occur in Bullfinches?

David Pedder said:
Its certainly a fascinating one Roy.

Ruby's question about the white neck, which I too have never seen before, has got me thinking (something of a miracle!). I know I plumped for female but I'm now wondering if this bird might be a partially leucistic male! Does leucism occur in Bullfinches?

Hello again David

Have not got a clue I will leave that to all the BF experts, I have just phoned my mate to inform him, his Bullfinch has people thinking. He looks a nice boy to me.

Roy.

RoyH said:
Hi all
My friend sent me this image of a female Bullfinch would you please confirm the sex of this bird looking in my reference books I have come to the conclusion its a male. This would make my friend very happy if I am wrong plus it would put my mind at rest.

Regards,

Roy.
Hi From geoff.cooll, well I am the one that took the photo of the bullfinch Roy H just likes to cause me pain ( allways disagrees with me ) tortured me with nine months of morse code ( both radio hams ) Hi Hi
ok well looked in the books I have some show the white on the neck and some do not, I feel sure its a female as I have seen the male about at the same time he is a vivid pink color but this one has no white on the neck.

Many thanks for all the replys Geoff.cooll

Hi Geoff and thanks for the great photo. Quite a puzzler. I think if you have seen this bird together with a much bolder, more vivid bird then I would settle for the fact that your Bullfinch is a female. I now think you should retire to the pub and let Roy buy the beers! B :) Happy birding!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back