• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wader sp. Western Finland July (1 Viewer)

Finbirder

Hi Guys

I saw this bird flying far away without my bins and took a very bad picture of it. Not exactly sure what it is, maybe ruff? It was in a area where a lot of curlews occur in a field and I was thinking about a juvenile curlew also, could the bill be so short?

Attachments

• mystery1.jpg
    mystery1.jpg
    379.4 KB · Views: 183
  • mystery2.jpg
    mystery2.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 181
Ruff would be the last bird I would suggest here. Looks to be a bog standard Curlew IMO. The images are both out of focus so the bill tip is not visible.

Thanks Steve, is there something that would definately rule out Ruff? I know the photos are really bad and that what makes this interesting for a common species anyway :) when looking the first photo, the face, chest and bill looks like a ruff but still the bird looks kind of bulky and heavy does it?

The white up the back is pretty apparent, particularly in the first photo, and does not look like photographic artifact. The breast and flank pattern looks right for Curlew as well. I agree with Curlew.

John

The white up the back is pretty apparent, particularly in the first photo, and does not look like photographic artifact. The breast and flank pattern looks right for Curlew as well. I agree with Curlew.

John

I think the photo is backlit and the bits on the top of the bird are overexposed. I'm seeing a clear Ruff - check the upper wing pattern for eg.it all fits.

Ruff. I don't see the back/tail pattern fitting Curlew - as noted the back looks over exposed, there's clearly a dark area between the back and base of the tail which is pale and then dark towards the tip; despite lack of clarity this indicates the Ruff's dark centre, two white ovals and dark tip. The bill is way too short for Curlew. What can be seen of the wing pattern, above and below, is a better fit for Ruff. The head and neck look right too. It's difficult to be sure but the feet look to extend too far beyond the tail.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back