• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

small birds Awash Falls Lodge, Ethiopia (1 Viewer)

SJC

I need help with the id of two species at the Awash Falls Lodge last January. The first two pictures I think are of the same bird, a female type Bishop sp. I suspect it could be a Black-winged Bishop. The second is an imm Sunbird, from the book I'm guessing Marico. I didn't pay much attention to them at the time and looking at the photos now I can't id them!.Thanks!

Attachments

• DU4A8400b.jpg
    DU4A8400b.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 33
  • DU4A8367b.jpg
    DU4A8367b.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 26
  • DU4A8532b.jpg
    DU4A8532b.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 40
Thanks both.

There were certainly Shining Sunbirds around but looking at the Birds of the Horn of Africa field guide I couldn't find a plumage that was a good fit for the bird in the photograph. The underparts in the book are whitish grey while the bird in the photo has a yellowish wash to the underparts which seems better for Marico (according to the book).

You may be right with the Quelea Valerie although I thought even immatures show a brighter and larger bill and a hint of an eye-ring!

The underparts look pretty dark in that photo quite unlike the illustrations in the book. You're probably right then!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back