• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID confirnation please - Romania (1 Viewer)

crs

I have photographed these birds yesterday and I was confused by the reddish colour of the plumage. Could you please tell me if these birds are Mallards in eclipse plumage?

Cristian

Attachments

• untitled-227.jpg
    untitled-227.jpg
    465.6 KB · Views: 77
The two outside ones are females and the middle one is male in what looks to me to be a male in eclipse plumage, all Mallard.

The two outside ones are females and the middle one is male in what looks to me to be a male in eclipse plumage, all Mallard.
Left bird has a yellow bill, so is eclipse male. Right bird has a browner bill so is female. Middle bird is unsexable as its bill is hidden.

Ok, I'll go with that for the left bird, but the plumage on the middle one looks more like a male not fully in eclipse to me.

I have a second photo showing the bill of the bird in the middle. It looks ywllow to me so it should be a female.

Cristian

Attachments

• untitled-229.jpg
    untitled-229.jpg
    410.5 KB · Views: 20
A yellow bill would mean male, but I'm seeing a dark culmen, and the dark and grey on the back from the original has gone so must have been shadow. I think on this photo that the middle bird is female.

Thank you Nutcracker and Andy for the answers.
Yes Andy, I wrote wrong, the yellow bill shows a male.
The photos have been taken within two seconds so the birds are in the same position in both of them.

Cristian

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back