• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull/Tern ID? (1 Viewer)

Hi,

Whilst photographing the White-winged Black Tern in Crosby, over last couple of days, i was able to get a couple of quick shots of these birds. Initially i thought they too were WWBT's then i noticed the tail shapes and marks on breast/collar, (only after uploading them to my pc) and thought juvenile Black Terns, but now im not sure. Ive checked my book but see nothing with saddle markings to match these. Even Little Gulls in my book dont have same markings on back. (ok, maybe i need a new field guide...lol) I'd like to think juvenile Ross's gulls.... ;). The first 3 pics are the same pair/bird. The fourth one is the WWB Tern. Can anyone confirm their id for me?

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 205
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 172
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 203
  • wwb tern.jpg
    wwb tern.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
tracker said:
Hi,

Whilst photographing the White-winged Black Tern in Crosby, over last couple of days, i was able to get a couple of quick shots of these birds. Initially i thought they too were WWBT's then i noticed the tail shapes and marks on breast/collar, (only after uploading them to my pc) and thought juvenile Black Terns, but now im not sure. Ive checked my book but see nothing with saddle markings to match these. Even Little Gulls in my book dont have same markings on back. (ok, maybe i need a new field guide...lol) I'd like to think juvenile Ross's gulls.... ;). The first 3 pics are the same pair/bird. The fourth one is the WWB Tern. Can anyone confirm their id for me?

Thanks in advance,

Tom
Really nice tern pic.
The gulls look like juvenile Little Gulls. Petite billed guys.
CHEERS, JOE G

Thanks guys... :)

Ive just been to the bottom of a big bag and dug out my Birds Of The Western Palearctic volumes, and they dont even show a juvenile Little Gull with those markings on back. (by the way, everthing is packed away as ive just moved house.... ;) )

Thanks for your comments.

Tom

The final shot is a real cracker as the bird is one of the unusual variants where the wings and mantle are wholly dark rather than displaying the traditional "W" upper wing pattern. There is a !st winter pictured in the Helm Gulls guide (page532) which shows this variation.

S

Just opened the fourth picture full screen and have to admit my MISTAKE. What threw me was the dark wings - I always thought young WWBTs have dark saddle contrasting with light/silvery wings.

Stuart

In general, juv WWBT does show more contrast between mantle and wings than this bird. The secondaries on the recent bird in Essex really shone out silvery white in the sunshine.

dbradnum said:
Stuart

In general, juv WWBT does show more contrast between mantle and wings than this bird. The secondaries on the recent bird in Essex really shone out silvery white in the sunshine.

As far as I understand it doe´s show the contrast as would be excpected in a WWBT if you look at other images of the same bird. I had a look at som images in Rare Bird Alert and Birguides. Here it just comes up darker. Am I right?
JanJ

You are right, Jan... I should have said "more contrast than this photo shows"!

The pictures <here> are superb (well done, Steve!), and in particular images 5, 8, and 12 provide a good illustration of the 3-way contrast between dark mantle, silvery secondaries and white rump.

Thanks for all observations and comments... :)

Hi GV, thanks for your kind words. I use a Canon 20D DSLR and Canon 400mm f/5.6 L USM lens.

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back