• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dark colored bird? (1 Viewer)

baccalynnwv

Hello, I'm in central west virginia. Yesterday I saw a bird, a little smaller than a robin, perched on my power line. It was solid dark, from my distance looked all black to me, except it's belly and throat were the same color light gray. I couldn't really see much of it's beaks to tell what shape it was. It's tail was forked - I guess that is what you would call it. It didn't have any other kind of markings. No crest. The other birds flying around, in flight looked something like a swallow, but again, they were to far away for my bad eyes to identify. Does anyone have any ideas as to what it might have been?

Close but I don't think it's wings were quite as long and it did not perch as upright as the swallows I have seen in pictures. Must not have been a swallow at all, thought I do believe the other birds flying around were swallows. (I know that doesn't help to identify this bird. LOL) I haven't been able to find a picture of the bird I saw anywhere yet.

I thought it might be a relative of the Northern House martin -

Look at Purple Martin [Progne subis], which is dark all over, found in North America... but bigger that the robins we get in the UK.

gesh... looks similar to both, but again the martins wings loon a little longer than what this brid was. Looked most similar to the eastern king bird. The tail, he was cleaning himself and had it stretched out which made the tail looked forked, but then again, it just may have been my faulty eyes. LOL.. I haven't seen it since, though I have looked hard for it. Hopefully it will be back this weekend.

Thanks for your suggestions though. If I can get a better look at it I'll let you all know.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back