• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa 8x33 versions (different colors?) (1 Viewer)

v.Lyapunov

Hello All,

I am considering to get a pair of Genesis 8x33, but one thing really puzzles me... From all the online pictures, it seems like there are two versions (or color options) for the bin, one is green and one is gray. Is one of them earlier than the other? Or they are actually the same color just under different lighting?
I tried to search online but found no info on this, and I would appreciate if anyone can clarify that for me.

Thanks!

Hello All,

I am considering to get a pair of Genesis 8x33, but one thing really puzzles me... From all the online pictures, it seems like there are two versions (or color options) for the bin, one is green and one is gray. Is one of them earlier than the other? Or they are actually the same color just under different lighting?
I tried to search online but found no info on this, and I would appreciate if anyone can clarify that for me.

Thanks!

I've only ever seen a green version, and I'm not aware of there being a gray version available. It's a very nice bin and I can recommend it to you wholeheartedly.

Best regards
Gary

Thanks a lot for the replies! It's probably the lighting as some of the online stock images look greenish gray to me. Anyway, since there's only one version, I've placed the order. Thanks again!

It could be said that the Kowa Genesis 8X33 is on par with the Zeiss Victory 8X32 FL or similar Swarovski?
Thanks
Wachi,

Wachi,

I have not owned the 8x33, but have owned the 8.5x44 as well as the 8x42 Swarovski SLC WB HD, 8x32 Swarvoski EL Swarovision, 10x42 Swarovski EL (pre-SV), 7x42 Zeiss T*FL, and 8x32 Zeiss T*FL.

Optically I would say the Kowa compares very favorably to any alpha I've seen. If color fringing/chromatic aberration is of particular concern to you, I would say the Kowa and Zeiss are on par with each other in that category and certainly above the others. They are less bright and maybe warmer than the Zeiss, more similar to the SLC WB HD - which can be a good thing, in my opinion, as in bright light I always felt the Zeiss produced images that to my eyes were somewhat "washed out". Eye placement was very easy and control of glare was good, which was my main issue with the 8x32 Swarovision.

If I could I would repurchase/go back in time and not have sold the Kowa. Although I got rid of them due to (primarily) their weight and narrower true field of view, I've not been as pleased optically with anything in the price bracket and can't justify the minute increases in the higher brackets (such as the above alphas). And the field of view is not actually too bad, especially when you consider the increased detail available in the 8.5x. I've strongly considered the 8x33 but the eye relief specs are not too promising and there is nowhere nearby for me to get them in hand before purchase.

I know this isn't an exact comparison, but hopefully it helps... These are just my analytic, though not quantitative, observations, so your eyes may certainly vary.

Last edited:
Don't know about Spain, but in the UK (as I mentioned in my write up in Troubador's Genesis 8x33 thread) Kowa frequently offer very good distributor discounts, which I managed to couple with a dealer discount in order to buy a pair for just over half normal price. That sort of thing makes them hard to resist.

I have said many times before that the Kowa Genesis may be the most undervalued binocular in existence. I have the 8X33 as well as its big brother and they are great. If I look very carefully I can see a few very slight differences between those and my SF's but they are a joy to use. I think you will find the eye relief less of a problem than you think. Buy them and enjoy for years.
Steve

I got to use and compare this fine Kowa bino to several good to great binoculars the other day. They are certainly one of the finest binoculars I've ever looked through and none were better. One pair was my Swarovski 8x50B. I would much rather have owned those Genesis but for other than just optical reasons. Both were optically stellar. I really like the way the Genesis handle. Perfect fit for my eyes and face and hands.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back