• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron (1 Viewer)

piskota

hi everyone:) i am new here:)
i have an Opticron HR 66 GA ED from 2003.

two HDF eyepieces for 38x 20x magnification.

also a full frame Canon 6d camera.

does worth to buy the 40215 Telephotoadapter to convert the HR66 into a (800mm/f.12) telephoto with my dslr+t ring?
or it is more preferable to use a photo adapter and use the camera with my eyepieces?
does the f12 works good? do you have any pictures taken with this setup?
thank you. piskota

Hi piskota,

I've no experience with the specific gear you mention, but the lack of replies to your question might be because the use of large cameras for digiscoping can be quite problematic. One reason is the need to use much higher ISOs than would be required with a smaller sensor camera. Another is that such a set-up can be very cumbersome and hard to balance properly. Both of these tend to negate any benefits normally associated with large sensor cameras. A further disadvantage when using the Telephotoadapter/t ring method is that it's not easy to switch back and forth between using the scope for viewing and for taking photos.

Have you tried using a phone with the Opticron?

David

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back