• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kaeng Krachan (2), Thailand, Feb 17, 2018 (1 Viewer)

BKKBen

Hi again,

I have another green pigeon from Kaeng Krachan here. I originally thought that this bird was a female wedge-tailed green pigeon because the white on the underside didn't seem to go passed the feet and onto the belly, ruling out white-bellied, but I thought I'd throw these up to see what everyone thinks because I am only familiar with these birds from guide books.

These are the best three pics I managed to get. All feedback welcome.

Cheers,
Ben.

Attachments

• DSCF9375.JPG
    DSCF9375.JPG
    636.5 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCF9376.JPG
    DSCF9376.JPG
    562.1 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCF9380.JPG
    DSCF9380.JPG
    675.6 KB · Views: 34
Hi Byron,

What other features would point towards YVGP? I'm not familiar with this species; I've only seen it in guide books and photos.

Would this be a juvenile bird? In the field we noted no yellow at all on the vent, nor did it appear to have a blue eye-ring.

Thanks,
Ben.

Hi all,
the problem is that this species of wedge-tailed pigeon , is not particularly wedged in the tail. Directly overhead, a fresh bird well observed, perhaps?
Cannot remember the last time I saw tail streamers on a YVGP, as well. The pure white egg-shape on the lower abdomen encircled by primrose yellow and green barring is unique to YVGP. The vent is usually bright primrose as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back