• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swaro EL & Zeiss Victory FL 8x32 (1 Viewer)

JamieG

This isn't a which is one is best question/post! (That is often a personal individual choice)

I am going to look at these two models 8x32 in the shop this week and was just wondering what differences people have found between the two bins?

They cost roughly the same (I think the Zeiss are £40 more) I've been saving hard for a while now so want to get it right as its a once only purchase for me.

I have a Swaro ATS 65 HD scope so I'm a fan of Swarovski already (At the time I went for this over the Leica 62 APO).

Despite having a top end scope, for a number of years I have been using my budget £140 8x42 Opticron Imagic TGA Porro Waterproofs. Am I going to be blown away by the Swaros and Zeiss?

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
The FL's strong points are reduced chromatic aberration and marvelous colour quality. Try to look at something with a variety of shades of blue. I have never used the Swarovski but I am sure there are some users who can add some information.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

There are differences between these two, but how are excellent bins. The FLs are a bit brighter, while the ELs have (if memory serves) a slightly wider FOV and a longer warranty. A couple of months back a friend and I both had the same dilemma, he went for the FLs and I got the ELs. Neither of us have regretted our choice at all, but we both agree we'd have been equally happy with the others bins.

Checking a vendor's site, both binoculars are specified at 420 feet at a thousand yards, 130 meters at one kilometer. However, specifications do not always match practica and individual use.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

for a number of years I have been using my budget £140 8x42 Opticron Imagic TGA Porro Waterproofs. Am I going to be blown away by the Swaros and Zeiss?

I'd guess you won't be blown away by the optical differences if your Opticron is a good sample of that model, but the handling will be quite different (good or bad depending on your taste). I have both these binos and have commented on them in detail on other threads. In summary...

Zeiss: more compact, very low CA, eye placement super critical to avoid astigmatism, superb fast precise and close-focus for butterfly/birding use

Swarovski: better handling (for me) in all ways makes it more comfortable for me on the hands and eyes; hardly more compact than a Leica 8x42 Ultravid so not my first choice as a travel bino (which is a principal use of this format for me).

--AP

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back