• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID thread (1 Viewer)

Reader

Before I add a few photos for your help in identifying them I have a question. Is the African Hoopoe a species in it's own right (Upupa africanus) as opposed to the European Hoopoe (Upupa epops).

Here are the first few photos we are having trouble with.

In the first photo the right hand bird I am fairly sure is a young Bateleur but is the left hand bird a Steppe Eagle. The first shows both of them and the second & third the left hand bird. Is the 4th a possible Tawny Eagle and the 5th a Lappet-faced Vulture.

Thanks
John

Attachments

• IMG_5073.jpg
    IMG_5073.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_5100.jpg
    IMG_5100.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_5104.jpg
    IMG_5104.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 94
  • Eagle 6581.jpg
    Eagle 6581.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 105
  • Poss Lappet Faced Vulture 5797.jpg
    Poss Lappet Faced Vulture 5797.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 103
I'll leave the ID to others, but I'll add my two-cents about the Hoopoe conundrum. Basically it all depends on what life list you choose to use. I personally use Clement's who still considers these to be the same species. However, a lot of authors do recognize them as separate species. Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers,
Benji

Hi Benji

I don't know what list to use. I am not what you call a world birder. South Africa was by far the furthest I have ever been (Turkey and Lesvos were the furthest) so I have never had to think about it before.

I still need some clarification on whether or not to class it as a new bird for me.

John

I'll leave the ID to others, but I'll add my two-cents about the Hoopoe conundrum. Basically it all depends on what life list you choose to use. I personally use Clement's who still considers these to be the same species. However, a lot of authors do recognize them as separate species. Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers,
Benji

Basically what I'm trying to say is that it all really comes down to personal choice. If you plan on doing a lot of overseas birding in the future, it might be a good idea to choose a world list and stick with it. Otherwise things can get quite confusing. When I first starting birding overseas I just followed the taxonomy of the field guides I used in the various countries. That might be enough for now, and it seems like then you would count African Hoopoe as separate. The confusing part starts when you see the same bird in different areas and different field guides split them up differently. Again, it really is a personal decision.

Cheers,
Benji

PS - The ID's might get more attention if you post them in the ID section of BF as well.

Hi Benji

I am at an age that means I won't be doing much more birding abroad so a world list will not be as important as it is with other birders.

I will take your tip regarding the ID's and post them into another thread.

John

Basically what I'm trying to say is that it all really comes down to personal choice. If you plan on doing a lot of overseas birding in the future, it might be a good idea to choose a world list and stick with it. Otherwise things can get quite confusing. When I first starting birding overseas I just followed the taxonomy of the field guides I used in the various countries. That might be enough for now, and it seems like then you would count African Hoopoe as separate. The confusing part starts when you see the same bird in different areas and different field guides split them up differently. Again, it really is a personal decision.

Cheers,
Benji

PS - The ID's might get more attention if you post them in the ID section of BF as well.

Hi Benji

It is when your monetary situation is about to change fairly soon. Once that happens I won't be able to afford the cost of going abroad. For South Africa I had to virtually stop going out for most of the year so I could raise up the funds.

I should officially retire in February but hopefully I will be able to work on for at least a year. That will allow me maybe a couple of trips abroad next year. Bulgaria in May will be one, where the other will be I haven't got a clue.

John

It's never to late to start birding abroad!

Hi John
Looking forward to your trip report!
Glad you saw a lot of birds despite the weather!
Now here I go - i am of course prepared to be shot down by Sal or Dave - or other "local" birders but from my trip - I did learn quite a lot so here goes

The key to Steppe and Tawny Eagle i was told was the gape!

If you can see that and have good shots you ought to be able to tell them apart - and there will be exceptions --as ever!

But Steppe Eagles gape extends beyond the eye where as the Tawny the gape goes to about the middle of the eye.

So your bird in photos 1-3 is a Steppe Eagle

now the 4th photos looks like a Tawny Eagle - its gape does not extend beyond the eye - at least thats how it looks - the tricky thing here is that due to the position of the bird I cant see the tail well (that also helps with Tawny!)

Classic Lappet-faced in 5. From where we usually see them!LOL

Now I await Dave or Sal to tell me I have erred...but I am fairly confident - at least with 1-3 and 5!:eek!:

I
Here are the first few photos we are having trouble with.

In the first photo the right hand bird I am fairly sure is a young Bateleur but is the left hand bird a Steppe Eagle. The first shows both of them and the second & third the left hand bird. Is the 4th a possible Tawny Eagle and the 5th a Lappet-faced Vulture.

Thanks
John

Hiya Corrina

You are right on all of them and I did know about the gape but as always there were exceptions, depending on what angle you were looking at the bird, etc, etc. We saw birds that appeared to be Steppe but when we got a chance to look at the boots we realised they weren't. Steppe Eagles boots are thick and extend right down almost to the talons whereas Tawny's are thinner.

I won't be doing a full trip report as there was far too much we did. Three weeks solid birding is too much to write about so I will summarise it and make up pages of photos on my web site.

BTW I am doing another ID thread which is dealing with the unknown birds we saw and quite a lot have been ID'd so far. If you want a look the thread it is here. http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=1664310#post1664310

John

Hi John
Looking forward to your trip report!
Glad you saw a lot of birds despite the weather!
Now here I go - i am of course prepared to be shot down by Sal or Dave - or other "local" birders but from my trip - I did learn quite a lot so here goes

The key to Steppe and Tawny Eagle i was told was the gape!

If you can see that and have good shots you ought to be able to tell them apart - and there will be exceptions --as ever!

But Steppe Eagles gape extends beyond the eye where as the Tawny the gape goes to about the middle of the eye.

So your bird in photos 1-3 is a Steppe Eagle

now the 4th photos looks like a Tawny Eagle - its gape does not extend beyond the eye - at least thats how it looks - the tricky thing here is that due to the position of the bird I cant see the tail well (that also helps with Tawny!)

Classic Lappet-faced in 5. From where we usually see them!LOL

Now I await Dave or Sal to tell me I have erred...but I am fairly confident - at least with 1-3 and 5!:eek!:

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back