• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Attaching Brompton Bicycle front pannier Luggage to Dahon Bike (1 Viewer)

Wildmoreway

As one of those people who uses a pushbike as my main form of transport I own three folding bikes. The Bromptons have a wonderful front luggage mount that ideal for carrying stuff that you want to keep of your shoulders but the Dahon folders until now lacked anything similar. Newer models though now have a boss mounted on the front stem in a similar position to the Bromptons that does allow a truss to be fitted that holds Dahon's own bags in a similar way to the Brompton but which not compatible with the Brompton panniers.

The Brompton bags are ideal for carrying lenses and other equipment (although I still prefer to keep the camera body in a shoulder bag.)

Having looked at the issue I realised that by way of a little work with a needle file and the use of two M6 bolts about 18mm in length a Brompton front luggage block could be adapted to fit to a suitable Dahon and now I am also able to use the brilliant Dahon front panneir, and what's more on my Dahon (a Dahon Ciao) it looks as if the luggage block and the Brompton front pannier are made to fit. The only thing that is altered is the Brompton luggage block (cost about £16) and two m6 bolts (cost less than £2), the bike and everything else remains as standard. So you can still use the luggage on a Brompton.

I am quite happy to give details of the mod (about an hour's work).

Last edited:
Yes please!

I would LOVE to read such a guide (possibly with pictures...! A tutorial with pics would be just awesome; especially for people like me that aren't native English speakers).
A big THANKS to you. B :)

I'd like to adapt a Bropton T-bag to my Dahon (it has three holes in the front).
It wolul be wonderful to have detail of the modifications made by Speckled Wood.

All you do is to elongogate and widenen the upper hole on the brompton carrier block (and the metal plate) along with enlarging the lower hole (to accomodate 6mm bolts) this will them allow you to attact the brompton block to the upper and lower holes on the dahon. In the UK the carrier blocks cost about £15.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back