• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sooty Shearwater? (Cape Cod) MYSTERY Shearwater/Petrel (1 Viewer)

Oooh eck! Off to do some research. The structure looks wrong for Sooty (too chunky), it wouldn't have that contrast above unless exceptionally faded(and it looks quite fresh) and the plae bill and white chin/throat is a big problem. It gives a Cory's impression (build wise) but it has a fair few things wrong with that diagnosis too - notably the plain upper tail coverts and dark underparts. Any photos, however duff, showing the underparts will help.

Currently comprehensively stumped - and are you 100% sure that its the same bird in both photos

Last edited:
Well that's no less likely than a Pink-foot in the North Atlantic - though it does look rather heavy, and pale billed to me!

Apparantly the contrasting pale edge to the secondaries..as is shown in image 2. is nothing more than water reflection..not uncommon on dark-backed Puffinus..thus..as has been stated..Pink-footed Shearwater..a somewhat bulkier bird, more comparable to the subject is perhaps a better candidate.

but would be a 1stfor the North Atlantic! Its a pity we don't know what the underparts look like -except they look rather dark.

http://www.thebirdguide.com/pelagics/images/100317806-O_Gilliam.jpg

I've been looking for dark morph Pink-FS with white throats or pale morph with dark under tails - the above is my best yet.

http://shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.co.uk/2011/08/pink-footed-shearwater-puffinus.html

http://www.birdingperu.com/upload/picsfiles/Pink-footed Shearwather 3.JPG

Last edited:
How titillating to wake up this morning to find my bird elevated to MYSTERY status.

If you want duff pictures of this bird's underparts, you've come to the right place! |:D|

First...yes, both pictures are of the same bird. They were taken toward the southern end of Stellwagen Bank yesterday evening.

Attachments

• shear1.jpg
    shear1.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 252
  • shear2.jpg
    shear2.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 224
  • shear3.jpg
    shear3.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 272
I know nothing about the potential species, but a quick look at Howell suggests the closest match (though not perfect) is Pink-footed. Would be keen to read the opinion of more experienced seawatchers.

I was hoping it would have a big pale belly. Twoof those photos look fine for Sooty, but one still looks really weird. Can they really fade that much?

Its worrying that the clearest photo in the initial post is the weirdest one!

Last edited:
The more recent pictures look okay for Sooty Shearwater to me. They tend to be moulting at this time of year (at least the ones I saw in late June in the Pacific last year were anyway), which might explain the rather faded appearance.

Accepting that they are the same bird, its really quite scary how different it appears in these two photos!

Attachments

• tubenose.jpg
    tubenose.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 298
Checking the info on the photos it was 6:33 PM so the sun was a little lower in the sky, not sure if that has anything to do with it. But I assure you, this is all one bird we're looking at here. The only difference is the angle at which it's flying, at first it was flying away from me somewhat, then it turned and flew almost perpendicular to me.

Accepting that they are the same bird, its really quite scary how different it appears in these two photos!

:eek!: What the...?

The wing and face plumage looks completely different. I don't see how the pale bill and white throat can fade like that in the second image.

Last edited:
It is scary. It is difficult to know how much the enlargements can be trusted, but the pale bill even looks like it has more of a bulbous tip.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back