• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding Chicago in May 2005 (1 Viewer)

Cuckoo-shrike

I'm going to visit my daughter in Chicago for 10 days in May, at a time chosen to coincide, of course, with migration. She lives close to the lake, so I'll spend early mornings at Montrose, which I think is a brilliant migrant trap.

Can someone please give me some information to help fill in a few gaps in my US list:

Clay-colored Sparrow - does it breed at Springbrook Prairie? Anywhere else?
Sedge Wren - Goose Lake Prairie? Anywhere else?
Bell's Vireo - Pratt's Wayne Woods?
Dickcissel - ?
Alder Flycatcher - ?
Acadian Flycatcher - ?
Eastern Screech Owl - ?
Cape May, Connecticut and Mourning Warblers - presumably a good chance at Montrose and/or Elsen Hill?
Kentucky Warbler - any local breeding sites?

To optimise my chances, I reckon May 11th-21st would be the best time. Agreed?

Thanks

Andy

Andy, you should have a great time in the Chicago area during your visit. I think the first two weeks in May is the optimal time for the sring migration. Sorry I cannot be of particular helping you find your target birds. As I am not too familiar with the sites imediately around Chicago. Our youngest son lives in Ottawa, Illinois, which is about 80 miles west of Chicago on Interstate Highway 80. When we go up there for a visit I usually manage to get to some nearby birding spots. One of my favorites is Starved Rock State Park. This is near the Illinois River and Fox River and there are wooded canyons which are great for producing birds. This park is just ten miles south of Ottawa. I do wish you success in finding your target birds!

Thanks Larry. We went to Starved Rock on our last visit - wonderful place. But, we were there in late April, just before the action started!
I think you're right that the first two weeks of May probably produce peak numbers of migrants, but I reckon I would be lucky to see Ct and Mourning Warblers during that period.
Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back