• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eastern Massachusetts Sites (1 Viewer)

smyrna

Hi Everyone
I was wondering if anyone can suggest the best birding sites to see any of the species listed below. Myself & the wife are spending 2 weeks in the area in September. We are having a few days in New York and then we are driving up the coast. My target species are;
Ruffed Grouse, Sharp tailed, Seaside, Chipping, Field & Lincolns Sparrow,
White breasted Nuthatch, Hairy Woodpecker, Broad winged & Sharp shinned Hawk. Clapper Rail would be nice too :)
I have the Birders Guide to Eastern Massachusetts but it appears that some of the info in there is now out of date.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks Phil Jones (Smyrna)
UK based birder

Hi Everyone
I was wondering if anyone can suggest the best birding sites to see any of the species listed below. Myself & the wife are spending 2 weeks in the area in September. We are having a few days in New York and then we are driving up the coast. My target species are;
Ruffed Grouse, Sharp tailed, Seaside, Chipping, Field & Lincolns Sparrow,
White breasted Nuthatch, Hairy Woodpecker, Broad winged & Sharp shinned Hawk. Clapper Rail would be nice too :)
I have the Birders Guide to Eastern Massachusetts but it appears that some of the info in there is now out of date.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks Phil Jones (Smyrna)
UK based birder
Hi Phil,
for sparrows try Belle Isle Marsh in East Boston. Put out a post on Brookline Bird Club or check Cornell University's EBird database to find other species.

Phil,
Plum Island, a barrier beach island about an hour north of Boston, is a good bet for the Rail, the Nuthatch, the Woodpecker and the sparrows you've mentioned. It's also good for shorebirds and waterfowl.

Phil,
Plum Island, a barrier beach island about an hour north of Boston, is a good bet for the Rail, the Nuthatch, the Woodpecker and the sparrows you've mentioned. It's also good for shorebirds and waterfowl.

Thanks for responding to Phil's post. I am sure he will appreciate your info!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back