• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK Migration Season So Far (1 Viewer)

Himalaya

Just wondered any patterns so far - anything late or early? Did the cold snap affect anything this week?

Any one make any predictions for what could happen in the next 6 weeks?

The season seems pretty slow here in northeast Scotland. The only migrants I'm seeing in any numbers are Willow Warblers, Chiffchaffs, Wheatears, Sand Martins and Sandwich Terns. I haven't even seen a Swallow yet! The cold spell this week has meant that very little new stuff has come in, although I'm hopeful there'll be a significant rush of birds as things become slightly milder over the next week and the winds turn more to the south.

Cold "snap"?? Don't you mean Long cold grind??

Odd ones and twos of most migrants in now, but only small numbers.

Attachments

• 0001.jpg
    0001.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 61
Still seeing wintering birds around here. Went to RSPB Ham Wall yesterday and there were a couple of Pintail still there, plus fair numbers of Pochard.

Having said which, the stats on the Birdtrack website seem pretty insistent that both wintering and summering species are pretty much bang on schedule this year, compared to the long-term average. So any delay isn't actually all that great. Maybe it would be more accurate to say that they're not early this year, where they have tended to be over the last few years.

Others who know the science better than me will doubtless be able to draw more reliable conclusions.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back