• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Monarch HG (1 Viewer)

Like it or not, they also have to compete with the Tract Toric, Vortex Razor HD, Maven, and GPO's new stuff evidently. $1000 is a really tough price point.

Like it or not, they also have to compete with the Tract Toric, Vortex Razor HD, Maven, and GPO's new stuff evidently. $1000 is a really tough price point.

JG:

Good point, but it looks like Nikon is out front with better flat field
optics.

Of those you mention, Nikon would be my choice.

I will mention the Zeiss Conquest HD and Leica Trinovid HD.
They are very good also.

There are lots of good midrange choices, and that is a good thing.

Jerry

Understand Jerry, and agree on all the good choices thing. I don't have as much faith in Nikon as you do, especially the CS and warranty part, but they do have a few serviceable products and a couple of outstanding ones (EDG, SE, Premier). They are pretty clueless on marketing them though IMO.

Understand Jerry, and agree on all the good choices thing. I don't have as much faith in Nikon as you do, especially the CS and warranty part, but they do have a few serviceable products and a couple of outstanding ones (EDG, SE, Premier). They are pretty clueless on marketing them though IMO.

The SEs as you know are gone, and that is a shame! The Premiers were the old HG L Alphas in Nikons line and were demoted to 2nd line status after the introduction of the EDG and given the name Premier. With the introduction of the Monarch HG they were removed from Nikon's lineup and no longer are sold.

Nikon binoculars can be ordered directly from the Nikon website. In this one respect Nikon is much like Maven and Tract in their marketing.

See Steve 04Bs comments about Nikon's pricing policy in post #330 and about Nikon's warranty in post #337.

Bob

Last edited:
IMO, the MHG sounds like a great binocular! Less than $1000 sounds like a BARGAIN IMO, IF....the optics are what they should be.

FOV I believe is second only to a Victory SF.
Smaller in stature and lighter than an SF.
Over $1000 LESS than an SF.

Sounds like everything a birder could want??

I'm not saying the MHG WILL be the SFs equal. I AM saying if the MHG does all the above with say Conquest HD optics...we'll be in good shape.

Is not $1000 is $500 more at recent prices SF has been selling.

CLOSEOUT model has been selling for around $1700, right? So we'll say at least $720 less than a close-out SF. A new model SF is well over $2000. Over $2500 I believe at most places.

The MHG will be a new model as well.

SF has been selling at $1500 lately. That model is plenty alpha for me.

As Bob said you better grab one quick at that price. The gray models are discounted and going quick. The cheapest I see is 1700 at Cabela's and they only have the 10x42 left. I don't see any new gray for 1500.
The rest are going for 2k.

The new black model is going for 2800-2900.

BH had them over the holidays. You have to watch it as they change prices daily/hourly. Is back to $1899 now. Eagleoptics has always been expensive, I never buy from them.

As Bob said you better grab one quick at that price. The gray models are discounted and going quick. The cheapest I see is 1700 at Cabela's and they only have the 10x42 left. I don't see any new gray for 1500.
The rest are going for 2k.

The new black model is going for 2800-2900.

The problems with the gray ones are bubbling armor and sticking and/or noisy focus wheel. It's a crap shoot as to whether you'll get one with problems.

I have a grey one in use now for 16 months and no problems whatsoever
No bubbling armor nor bad focusing
The focus wheel works smoother than the swarovision of my wife

The problems with the gray ones are bubbling armor and sticking and/or noisy focus wheel. It's a crap shoot as to whether you'll get one with problems.

This sounds like hyperbole to me - how many units actually had these problems? From the ownership cohort, the numbers of actual problems seem to have been very few and confined, mostly, to early production, with later production improved as you would expect with any new product.

This sounds like hyperbole to me - how many units actually had these problems? From the ownership cohort, the numbers of actual problems seem to have been very few and confined, mostly, to early production, with later production improved as you would expect with any new product.

James:

I agree with you, my gray version has been perfect, I think Steve here
has not been fair with his evaluation.

Jerry

James:

I agree with you, my gray version has been perfect, I think Steve here
has not been fair with his evaluation.

Jerry

Most of the ones we sold early on were perfect. In the next to last batch, we had to return/replace 3 of 4 10x and 2 of 3 8x, with the predominant issue being with the focus wheels. Customers were noticing the problems right out of a fresh box. The replacement grays were perfect except they didn't have the new eyecups. There have been no issues with the new black ones.

If I were buying a gray SF, I'd ask the store to check the binocular for these issues before shipping it to me.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back