• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wader ID - Poppit Sands (1 Viewer)

DoghouseRiley

Hi All

Got here very late, poor light and low tide. Took some long distance shots just in case I could pick out anything interesting later.

Could you look at the plover, second left? Furthest left looks like a Ringed Plover to me, but the other one looks different. Looks like a female Kentish. Pale mark above the eye, no dark markings to the head, paler collar than the other Plover there.

Maybe the picture isn't good enough to ID?

Yours

Gareth

Attachments

• 0650.jpg
    0650.jpg
    343.5 KB · Views: 190
  • 0651.jpg
    0651.jpg
    341.3 KB · Views: 95
It's just a juv Ringed plover I'm afraid. Compare the extent of white in the face of juv kentish with juv ringo. Kentish are much more diminutive, and generally appear paler overall than Ringed plover - Little ringed is perhaps the commoner confusion species for Kentish plover. Ringed plover show orange coloured legs, whereas Kentish generally have darker legs (black in adults, greyish in younger birds).
Kentish is also really rather scarce in the UK, and the numbers turning up annually have decreased in the last 10-15 years.

Hi Daniel
They get a few Kentish on the Teifi estuary in early autumn and onwards, but it does look a similar size to the Ringed Plover (far left). Just can't find a picture of a juv. Ringed that does not have some dark markings on the head........................

Me too Mick, I just couldn't find anything like it in any of the books. Everyone I looked in had dark markings on the head of the juv. Ringed.

Thanks for your help guys.

Few books show all the stages of plumage, even Collins shows only a few. A Google search and a study of the images CAN help .... but by no means all the images are accurately captioned, so care is needed here as well!
Mick

The problem with google searches is that you could be looking at a picture of a bird and it could be mistakenly captioned. I'd rather post here and see what people think.
But thanks anyway. Gareth

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back