• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Publication date (1 Viewer)

RSN

Rafael S. Nascimento
Brazil
Maybe someone here could help me with this matter: what counts as publication date for a work that describes a new species when the year in the work and in the volume are different (for example, 1887 and 1888, respectively)?

Specifically in a case when you don't know if the author, who received the copies in the previous year to the volume publication, have distributed or not his work.

I'm not sure if I'm answering your question, but:

It's Article 21, Determination of Date, which is relevant here. And Article 21.5, Dates of work issued in parts, looks to me to be what your question is about. It says

If parts of a work were published on different days, the date of publication of each part is to be separately determined.

So if the work in question is part of a volume (containing many works) then it's the publication date of the work, not the publication date of the volume.

I think you go off the date of publication of the part. The Code contains the following:
21.5. Dates of work issued in parts. If parts of a work were published on different days, the date of publication of each part is to be separately determined.

21.6. Range of dates. If the date of publication specified in a work is a range of dates, the work is to be dated from the final day of the range; however, if evidence demonstrates that the date so determined is incorrect or that the work was issued in parts, the date or dates of publication are to be determined according to the relevant provisions of Articles 21.3-21.5
But that assumes it was a part and not a preprint, where it seems evidence of actual distribution is required:
21.8. Advance distribution of separates and preprints. Advance distribution of separates or preprints affects date of publication as specified by the following criteria:

21.8.1. Before 2000, an author who distributed separates in advance of the specified date of publication of the work in which the material was published thereby advanced the date of publication.

There is some discussion of these issues in the book Priority! Go to http://www.avespress.com/books/priority/priority-preview/ and look at the preview of pp. 46-47.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back