• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

new to the site (1 Viewer)

mattybohan

Hi All,
I've been enjoying lurking around looking at the art on the site. I finally got around to scanning my most recent painting to share.

It is a transparent watercolor of a kentucky warbler on 140lb hot press paper 5x7 inches.

ktucky.jpg

Good to see lurkers delurking themselves! Welcome. What a good entry too, a large amount of detail in such a small watercolour is no mean feat! And getting the shadow on the yellow is very well achieved, it's very hard to get tone in that colour without turning it to mud so very well done.

Good to see lurkers delurking themselves! Welcome. What a good entry too, a large amount of detail in such a small watercolour is no mean feat! And getting the shadow on the yellow is very well achieved, it's very hard to get tone in that colour without turning it to mud so very well done.

I echo your sentiments completely nick. lets get te lurker's out of the
closet and sharing some artwork!

Mathew, fantastic job and a jem of a bird. welcome and keep em
coming.

Another Lurker out of the closet! Great painting, a gem in fact.

So here's what you do....click on "new thread, enter title "Matts thread, get out sketching and painting a lot and then post it all here! Most welcome Sir!

Agree with the others, what a superb picture. Welcome to the forum. Will be looking for others from you.

Thanks for the nice comments. It was a fun bird to paint.
I haven't gotten much bird painting done this year because of other committments, but hopefully I'll be more productive in the near future.

In the past I've gotten done loads of birds. If you get bored take a peek at my website. I'd be curious to see what people think. I almost exclusively work in watercolor for wildlife work.

I'm really impressed with the forum here. Lots of talented folks.
I'm hoping to finish up another watercolor soon.

Had a peek at the site, Matt, some excellent stuff! The B&W warbler is my definite fave -- all those branches winding off to nowhere -- but the Tricoloured Heron is a close second. I was going through the portfolio a few days ago and came across my lamentably unsuccessful Tricoloured from an encounter last summer (its cringeworthiness not helped by most of the painting falling victim to a massive surgical cropping when the adhesive from the kraft tape pooled under the heavy watercolour washes and stuck most of it to the plywood support). The bird had quite an effect on me and it was disappointing that the end result of all those field sketches didn't quite cut it, so I'm pleased to see someone doing this gorgeous heron justice!

Site is great, hats off for the Bald Ibis image, really strong image, very striking...
A lot of great work there, keep it up...

Just checked out your site Matty, big thumbs up from me on your technique, compositions and complementary background colours. Especially like the close-ups.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back