• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shooting through glass? (1 Viewer)

crickieheather

Hummer-crazy
I have a window mounted hummingbird feeder. I've been able to get some pretty fine photos with a tripod and natural light, but I'm really wishing for some sharper images with more color. In order to do that, I need to shoot on an aperture stopped down, which means I need some flash.

I've done some looking online and seen a few setups outside. Since I live in an apartment with some not-so-nice neighbors, I can't put a bunch of speedlights outside because they'd be walked off with really fast. Obviously, flash through a window is hit-or-miss. What can I do to minimize flash blowback and still light the hummingbirds so that the flash makes the feathers show as iridescent?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back