• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Elite ED and Legend M series, any good? (1 Viewer)

Arwzz

I am considering an upgrade from my tiny Terra ED 8x32 to use as a main bino. I have never had the oppurtunity to look through either of these and I can get a qiite good price via the local store. What are the main differences between the two in a 10x42 config? How do they compare to the Terra ED? Imo the Terra's sweetspot is not big enough and I would like a better reach. Does any of them come even close to something like a Nikon EDG (wich in feel in the hand, mechanics and IQ is my absolute favorite bino). Maybe it's wiser to save up for a top dog instead, but I figured someone might have some input as to how well these Bushnell's stack up.

Thanks in advance, Arvid

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I might add that I could also get a good deal on a Meopta, Hawke or Leupold if a model from any of those would be a better bang for the buck.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I can't tell you anything about the Elite, but I can mention a few things about the Legend M. The M has a surprisingly good sharp and bright view for a $269 (in the US) bino. However the focus wheel was not good at all. Slightly gritty, and with a huge amount of slack. I certainly don't expect perfection at its price level, but even when considering it's low price, it was pretty bad. I would imagine that the Elite will be much better in all aspects.

I've only tried the Legend L and M on a stand at a birding fair. On the samples I tried, the L had a rough focus and the M slightly stiff but OK. The build quality of the Elite appeared much better, but I hear some have had repeated problems with focus issues too. It wasn't an ideal day for testing but I thought the two legends were perceptualy sharper and had a cleaner colour presentation than the Elite with the Legend M having the flattest view. At our relatively high UK prices, I though the Legend L offered best value, but I'd want to check the focus before parting with my money.

David

I can't tell you anything about the Elite, but I can mention a few things about the Legend M. The M has a surprisingly good sharp and bright view for a $269 (in the US) bino. However the focus wheel was not good at all. Slightly gritty, and with a huge amount of slack. I certainly don't expect perfection at its price level, but even when considering it's low price, it was pretty bad. I would imagine that the Elite will be much better in all aspects.

Hi Phil, the legend M costs about 549 euro's in NL/Be:eek!:

@Arvid, Recently, I was looking for a midpriced 8X42, and the legend M also was on my list of candidates.
Although the view is pretty good in the legend M, I also found the focuser to be too hard to turn, and I didn't really like the build quality.
Also the around 500 euros retail price is a bit hard to understand, considering the US price of 269 dollars......

Then I checked out the Meopta Meopro HD, and it was love at first sight:t:
I think optically, it is in the same league as the Zeiss Conquest HD, except it is almost half the price of a conquest, I paid 469 euro.
Focuser is also buttery smooth. (Better than my EL10x50sv......)

Compared it also with the new Trinovid, long story short, overall, I liked the Meopta better. Way better CA control and just as sharp.
Color rendition and contrast might be a bit "better" in the new Trinny, but taken the selling price into consideration (Trinny = 800 euro), the Meopro was the winner for me.

Very happy with it:t:

Regards, Gijs

I've had a pair of Bushnell Elite ED 8x42 since 2013, and remain happy with them. My pair says "MADE IN JAPAN" if that's of any importance. They live in my car, and get regular if not particularly heavy use. I can't make any comments about the finer aspects of their optical quality as I now know that I suffer from mild cataracts.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back