• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Info needed: Red Fronted Serin (3 Viewers)

Bananafishbones

Incoherently Rambling .....
United Kingdom
Hi
Can anyone advise of a reliable site for Red Fronted Serin in SW Turkey.

Will be based at Fetiyhe \ Uzumulu, late October for a week.

Thanks in advance
Dave

Had them picking at grit at close range with other small finches at the top of the Gogu-Beli pass every time I've been there on trips in spring 2013 & 2014. Also a little further west on the same road at a roadside fountain on the eastern outskirts of Zorlar (photo). The last time I was looking for White-throated robins a km or so south of Seki in 2014 I had them there too. It's about 35 miles on the road to Elmali from where you're staying. I had to pass Fethiye on the way from Dalyan to get there.

Attachments

• Red-fronted-Serin-Zorlar-(8)-fbook.jpg
    Red-fronted-Serin-Zorlar-(8)-fbook.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Cheers BW, helpful info, certainly looks a fairly do-able day out.

Even better I have just dug out a Gosney guide that I couldn't find, should get me to a few locations.

I got the Gosney guide to Western Turkey before I went in 2013. Unless it's been updated it's well out of date for the sites in the Korkuteli hills, because when I got there they were busy dualling all the roads, so the water troughs and things that he uses as landmarks aren't there any more. It also omits entirely the road from Kinik to Elmali, which includes Seki and Gogu-Beli pass.

I have got the July 2014 edition of SW Turkey, I think this is the most recent edition, I will however check his site for any updates.

The road from Seki to Elmali over Gogu-Beli pass has not changed done it three times in 2017 , the water troughs are all there so you may have a chance

Seki and Gogu-beli pass

Well I managed to get there.

The weather on Tuesday and Wednesday was horrendous with continuous downpours, I made it up on Friday Morning. The weather was ok but chilly.

From Uzumulu to Seki took about 70minutes, just before the village I had 50+ Corn Buntings. I arrived at the famous Apple Statue where I turned right and headed along the lane \ track for the 1-2km as suggested. It started off well with a Rock Nuthatch poking around in a pile of rubbish before I reached the brow then picked up all the common species. It wasn't until a further 1km that I heard an unfamiliar call which turned out to be my first lifer of the day with a small flock of Cirl Buntings calling from bushes at the entrance to a farm track on the left hand side. The only other species of note were Southern Turkeys very common Black Redstarts and a very inquisitive Stonechat that came within a few meters of me to check me out. I drove the lane very slowly looking and listening for White-throated Robins and despite doing the track up and down twice I heard and saw none. What were singing though were at least 5 Woodlarks, certainly the most I have ever seen. A female Red Backed Shrike was the only other species of note.

I only had a full morning in the area so left it as late as possible before driving further up the road towards Elmali, I arrived at the Gogu-beli pass summit about 20 minutes later. As others have stated the road is in very good condition but is extremely windy as it twists and turns upto 1850mtrs. On the way up a large flock of Goldfinch and a few more Woodlarks were the only things I could see. There are plenty on car pull ins on most of the corners allowing stops to scan the area.

I passed the first water through near the summit but it was surrounded by Goats and a herder so the likelihood of feeding birds was minimal, I carried onto the summit where I pulled in and headed the 100mtrs down onto a plateau that looked a likely starting point. The grass underfoot was saturated so although great for the birds feeding it put doubt that the water troughs would be of any advantage for birdwatchers today. I found a few Rock Nuthatches and Black Redstarts while at least 4 Raven flew overhead. It was at this point that I encountered two rather large and aggressive dogs that fronted me up, I didn't fancy the fight so retreated to my car and drove a few hundred yards down the road on the Elmali side. I watched the second water trough for 20minutes and only a single Serin came to feed. Continuing down stopping every 100yards or so I picked up 2 more Woodlark, loads of Mistle Thrush, Sombre Tits, Chaffinch, Greenfinch etc. More Raven flew around the area, I watched a group of bushes close to the road where Willow Warbler, A larger unidentified warbler, Short Toed Tree creeper and a second Lifer with a Rock Sparrow. Still no Red Fronted Serins, all the activity seemed to be from Goldfinch or Eurasian Robins.

I had been in the area for nearly 4hrs (inc Seki) when I decided to call it a day. I dropped down to the first Water trough on the Seki side of the summit and had more Mistle Thrush and Rock Nuthatch, but only a single bird fed which was a Rock Bunting. A few hundred yards further down and a lot of bird activity stopped me in my tracks and I was treated to my third Lifer of the morning with a Male Rock Thrush.

dipped the two big species on this occasion but was worth the effort for 3 lifers, I am sure I can make the trip again next time I am in Turkey

Last edited:
Returned to Seki and the Gogu beli pass a few weeks ago

Got both species that I wanted with a bonus Eastern Bonellis Warbler.

White Throated Robin: Seki
I had 5 views, 2 males and 3 females.
The males were deeper in the rocky bushes with one perching nicely, my camera decided not to focus and the bird was gone, the other view was a male which flew as I walked the road back to the car.

The females were far more conspicuous and perched on snags on the edge of bushes, one female flew down onto rocks.

Red-fronted Serin: Gogu beli Pass.
Good number seen at the summit and a little further down the road on the Elmali side by the water trough. Was unable to get a descent shot while one was perched in a tree.

Eastern Bonellis Warbler: Gogu beli Pass.
Just below the summit

Middle Spotted Woodpecker: Gogu beli Pass
At the large tree by the side of the lower water trough

Dave

Attachments

• White Throated Robin5.jpg
    White Throated Robin5.jpg
    496.7 KB · Views: 37
  • Eastern Bonellis Warbler2.jpg
    Eastern Bonellis Warbler2.jpg
    547 KB · Views: 37
  • Red Fronted Serin6.jpg
    Red Fronted Serin6.jpg
    565.9 KB · Views: 42
  • Middle Spotted Woodpecker2.jpg
    Middle Spotted Woodpecker2.jpg
    307.7 KB · Views: 30
I have done the Erendag mountains near Seki, beyond the Ski-centre twice and the Gogu-Beli pass on the first trip in the last fortnight. At the pass there were too many tourists so no flocks near the troughs but a nice close Western Rock Nuthatch was messing about. At Erendag I managed a few flocks of Red-fronted Serins beyond the second farmstead after the ski centre plus lots of pipits and flava wagtails. I had a couple of Coutelli Water Pipits plus many tawny pipits. Wheatear wise it was mostly Northerns with a couple of juv/fem Isabelline and a nice male on the ski centre itself. A single moulting Finsch's was also just below the plateau on the goat track. I only had EBEW in Hisaronu. Up on the stony plateau I had a flock of 20 odd Shore Larks and a couple of Rock Thrushes. The first visit had a big movement of hirundines which couldnt get over the pass until the wind got up numbering in the hundreds of thousands. A breath of wind pushed them over and all the wings straining simultaneously made a roar. Hawking with them were lots of bee-eaters, alpine swifts, a few common swifts and kestrels plus an Eleanora's Falcon. Other raptors seen up there included Eastern Imperial Eagle, Bonelli's Eagle and Short-toed Eagle. Lower down there were 3 species of shrike, a brief ficedula, spotted fly, lots of sylvias which were mostly Lesser Whitethroat and hidey Ruppells Warbler, Wryneck plus Rock and Cirl Bunting. An incredible place.

I have done the Erendag mountains near Seki, beyond the Ski-centre twice and the Gogu-Beli pass on the first trip in the last fortnight. At the pass there were too many tourists so no flocks near the troughs but a nice close Western Rock Nuthatch was messing about. At Erendag I managed a few flocks of Red-fronted Serins beyond the second farmstead after the ski centre plus lots of pipits and flava wagtails. I had a couple of Coutelli Water Pipits plus many tawny pipits. Wheatear wise it was mostly Northerns with a couple of juv/fem Isabelline and a nice male on the ski centre itself. A single moulting Finsch's was also just below the plateau on the goat track. I only had EBEW in Hisaronu. Up on the stony plateau I had a flock of 20 odd Shore Larks and a couple of Rock Thrushes. The first visit had a big movement of hirundines which couldnt get over the pass until the wind got up numbering in the hundreds of thousands. A breath of wind pushed them over and all the wings straining simultaneously made a roar. Hawking with them were lots of bee-eaters, alpine swifts, a few common swifts and kestrels plus an Eleanora's Falcon. Other raptors seen up there included Eastern Imperial Eagle, Bonelli's Eagle and Short-toed Eagle. Lower down there were 3 species of shrike, a brief ficedula, spotted fly, lots of sylvias which were mostly Lesser Whitethroat and hidey Ruppells Warbler, Wryneck plus Rock and Cirl Bunting. An incredible place.

Yes, a superb set of birds.
Once this Pandemic rubbish lets off somewhat and we can get flying I will be in the fortunate position to visit this area fairly frequently

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back