• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HBW and BirdLife Taxonomic Checklist v2 (1 Viewer)

Anyone care to comment on the new splits and lumps, I’m afraid I can’t (be bothered) skim through the spreadsheets on my phone

Species added:

Amazilia alfaroana
Poicephalus fuscicollis

Species deleted:

Phyllastrephus leucolepis

Scientific names v9.1 vs current version:

Corcorax melanoramphos / Corcorax melanorhamphos
Icterus bullockii / Icterus bullockiorum
Myiothlypis mesoleucus / Myiothlypis mesoleuca
Pteroglossus beauharnaesii / Pteroglossus beauharnaisii
Ramphastos citrolaemus / Ramphastos citreolaemus

Anyone care to comment on the new splits and lumps, I’m afraid I can’t (be bothered) skim through the spreadsheets on my phone

And changes to English names:

Rowi -> Okarito Kiwi
Adélie Penguin -> Adelie Penguin
Northern New Zealand Dotterel -> Northern Red-breasted Plover
Minahassa Masked-owl -> Minahasa Masked-owl
Papuan Boobook -> Papuan Hawk-owl
Yellow-crowned Parakeet -> Yellow-fronted Parakeet
Red-crowned Parakeet -> Red-fronted Parakeet
Yellow-margined Flycatcher -> Yellow-margined Flatbill
Salayar Whistler -> Selayar Whistler
Swinhoe's Minivet -> Brown-rumped Minivet

In family Campephagidae, all Cuckoo-shrike -> Cuckooshrike, although name of family remains "Cuckoo-shrikes"

In family Vangidate, all Helmet-shrike -> Helmetshrike and all Wood-shrike -> Woodshrike

Fatuhiva Monarch -> Fatu Hiva Monarch
Dja River Scrub-warbler -> Dja River Swamp-warbler
Bangwa Forest-warbler -> Bangwa Warbler
Sjostedt's Greenbul -> White-tailed Greenbul
Grand Comoro Black Bulbul -> Grand Comoro Bulbul
White-browed White-eye -> Cream-browed White-eye
Przewalski's Nuthatch -> Przevalski's Nuthatch
Sri Lanka Myna -> Sri Lanka Hill Myna
White-browed Scrub Robin -> White-browed Scrub-robin
Fraser's Forest-flycatcher -> African Forest-flycatcher
Arnott's Chat -> Arnot's Chat
White-breasted Sunbird -> White-bellied Sunbird
Blue Waxbill -> Blue-breasted Cordon-bleu
Carbonated Sierra-finch -> Carbon Sierra-finch
Golden-bellied Bush-tanager -> Golden-bellied Tanager
Buff-throated Warbling-finch -> Buff-breasted Warbling-finch
Grey-throated Warbling-finch -> Grey-breasted Warbling-finch

Presumably because the bird isn't fizzy after all?
Out of curiosity, does 'carbon' make sense to a native English speaker?
(I have always interpreted 'carbonated' as meaning 'charcoaled', i.e., coloured as if blackened with charcoal. I'm not sure what I would understand from 'carbon sierra-finch' without knowing where it came from.)

Species added:

Amazilia alfaroana
Poicephalus fuscicollis

Species deleted:

Phyllastrephus leucolepis

Scientific names v9.1 vs current version:

Corcorax melanoramphos / Corcorax melanorhamphos
Icterus bullockii / Icterus bullockiorum
Myiothlypis mesoleucus / Myiothlypis mesoleuca
Pteroglossus beauharnaesii / Pteroglossus beauharnaisii
Ramphastos citrolaemus / Ramphastos citreolaemus

Thanks

(I have always interpreted 'carbonated' as meaning 'charcoaled', i.e., coloured as if blackened with charcoal. I'm not sure what I would understand from 'carbon sierra-finch' without knowing where it came from.)

In English, 'carbonated' means with carbon dioxide added; see e.g. Carbonated water and Carbonation at wikipedia. So it is ridiculous nonsense as a bird name, as hinted in my post above :t:

Carbon Sierra-finch? I guess one would normally take that to mean the colour of graphite carbon (very dark blackish grey). But it's open to uncertainty, after all, diamond is also carbon.

Assuming it’s not named after an area named Carbon, then I would understand it to mean charcoal or indeed carbon coloured. Perhaps another word would be better as Carbon is not usually used that way. Slaty?

Carbonated means it has had gas added and is now a sparkling drink

This was the subject of an SACC proposal in 2008. The name is distinctive and I'm glad they left it alone, and I don't see why the word can't have more than one meaning.
I sort of like it as well...
(But I don't think I read it 'in English'; I probably interpret it as if it was formed from a crude Anglicization of the French verb charbonner -- to draw with a charcoal / to blacken with charcoal -- and as such it looks rather 'normal'. ;))

Przewalski's Nuthatch -> Przevalski's Nuthatch
Another issue about which I've found myself wondering a couple of times...
'Przewalski' is the Polish spelling of the name that (if I understand the Polish Wikipedia correctly) his great-grand-father adopted; as such, I guess it may make some sense to use it. 'Przevalski', on the other hand, so far as I know, is not a spelling that he or any of his relatives ever used; neither does it seem to be a regular transliteration of the Russian spelling 'Пржева́льский' (which is what he used; Cyrillic ж is not normally transliterated into a simple z, because this would obliterate the distinction between the two letters ж and з). In English, the use of this spelling seems largely confined to bird names.
What is the source of this spelling?

Last edited:
In English, 'carbonated' means with carbon dioxide added; see e.g. Carbonated water and Carbonation at wikipedia. So it is ridiculous nonsense as a bird name, as hinted in my post above :t:

I've never taken it to mean that. I've always assumed it was used in the context of blackened with soot ('carbonated'). I think it is a great name and the change to 'carbon' makes no greater sense.

cheers, alan

I've never taken it to mean that. I've always assumed it was used in the context of blackened with soot ('carbonated'). I think it is a great name and the change to 'carbon' makes no greater sense.

cheers, alan

Wrongly, though - see the etymology given in the SACC proposal above, and also think of the colour of calcium carbonate (chalk). The word you're thinking of there is carbonised :t:

Wrongly, though - see the etymology given in the SACC proposal above, and also think of the colour of calcium carbonate (chalk). The word you're thinking of there is carbonised :t:

No Nutty, you have misread, eg'Many dictionaries given "to burn to carbon" as one definition, as was the presumed intention of whoever gave the species its English name in referring to the species' gray color.'

So that was the likely origin. They weren't thinking of fizzy drinks were they?

The SACC addressed the Q as to whether it was sensible to retain, given current meaning (which you correctly summarise). I agree with Robbins, Stolz and Jamarillo. NO.

cheers, alan

Another issue about which I've found myself wondering a couple of times...
'Przewalski' is the Polish spelling of the name that (if I understand the Polish Wikipedia correctly) his great-grand-father adopted; as such, I guess it may make some sense to use it. 'Przevalski', on the other hand, so far as I know, is not a spelling that he or any of his relatives ever used; neither does it seem to be a regular transliteration of the Russian spelling 'Пржева́льский' (which is what he used; Cyrillic ж is not normally transliterated into a simple z, because this would obliterate the distinction between the two letters ж and з). In English, the use of this spelling seems largely confined to bird names.
What is the source of this spelling?

I'd say the cause of this particular change by BLI was that they already had Przevalski's Partridge and Przevalski's Rosefinch, so changing to Przevalski's Nuthatch was necessary for consistency.

And it's true that all of the major world checklists use "Przevalski" nowadays. I see that Howard and Moore's Second Edition (1991) uses "Przewalski", though, so that must have been changed for the Third Edition.

Another twist on that: the IOC checklist has "Przevalski's Partridge" but its scientific name is Alectoris magna (Przewalski, 1876). Whereas H&M Fourth Edition has "Przevalski's Partridge" but its scientific name is Alectoris magna (Przevalski, 1876).

Another twist on that: the IOC checklist has "Przevalski's Partridge" but its scientific name is Alectoris magna (Przewalski, 1876). Whereas H&M Fourth Edition has "Przevalski's Partridge" but its scientific name is Alectoris magna (Przevalski, 1876).
Пржевальскій Н. 1876. Монголія и страна Тангутовъ: трехлѣтнее путешествіе въ восточной нагорной Азіи. Томъ II. Изданіе Императорскаго Русскаго Географическаго Овщкства, St.-Petersburg. [title page (w/ name in genitive)] [end of preface (w/ name in nominative)] [p. 127: Caccabis magna]
(So neither is objectively a fully "correct" representation of the original. But indeed, it makes no real sense to use different spellings for an author's name within a bird's name and outside of it, at least unless you have a very good reason to do so. ;))

I understand that the last change was made to homogenize the spelling of his name in the names of different birds. I don't understand why the particular spelling on which the homogenization is done was chosen in the first place. I already didn't understand why it was being used before this last change.

Last edited:
It's true that when you Google for "Przevalski" you mostly get bird-related pages. But when you Google for "Przewalski" you get almost uniformly horse-related pages -- of the first 100 pages I got, 99 of them were about the horse.

So there's a historical process at work there, and it's far from obvious how it came about.

'Carbonated' is an odd descriptor, but far from the only one. Not sure about 'many' dictionaries, but the only one I use (OED) defines 'carbonated' only in the sense of a fizzy drink. No mention of anything burning. 'Carbon' is an even odder descriptor - OED does not mention its use in any colour sense. I suppose it is meant to indicate something dark grey, in which case a phrase such as 'dark grey' would have done the trick. Or 'grey' or 'greyish' or even 'blackish'. 'charcoal', on the other hand, is available as a colour (according to the OED), meaning 'dark grey' ...

Keith

It's true that when you Google for "Przevalski" you mostly get bird-related pages. But when you Google for "Przewalski" you get almost uniformly horse-related pages -- of the first 100 pages I got, 99 of them were about the horse.

So there's a historical process at work there, and it's far from obvious how it came about.
For pages related to the man, use "Przhevalsky".

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back