• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wireless Router Problem (1 Viewer)

Roy C

Occasional bird snapper
I have a wireless router with my desktop hard wired to the router and my Laptop running wireless. I have been using this set-up for several months and it work ok BUT some times the laptop is very slow in picking up the network/router. I always use the laptop in the same position in the house - sometimes it picks up the network right away and other times it can take 5 minutes or more before it see's the nework. Can anyone throw any light on the problem.
Cheers
Roy C.

Could just be temperamental, but you could try changing which channel the router broadcasts on (it will be in the router control panel). Channels are numbered 1-11 or 1-13. Changing can help, especially if there is interference from neighbour's routers etc.

Hi Roy-- I had the same problem with my wireless router. I read that cordless home telephones and other devices broadcast at 2.4ghz, same as a 2.11g standard wireless router, causing interference. I've heard cell phones affect as well; my cell phone would cut out and get crappy in my office near the router, leaving the room cured it (usually).

A wireless access point is relatively inexpensive if you can hard-wire one from your router-- that'd do wonders. Someone even said sun-spots can affect wireless connectivity... (I was sick the day they covered that in school though...!)

Problem now solved - turned out to be a duff router. Got a no hassle replacement at PC world and am now back up and running.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back