• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vectis Birder's sketchbook 2007 (1 Viewer)

Vectis Birder

Itchy feet
Ok, I'm going to go with the flow and post my drawings and sketches as made in 2007. I'm hoping that I will be more prolific this year than previous years.
Right, I'm starting off with some drawings of Avocets but I must confess that these are a bit of a cheat and have been done from my photos I digiscoped last week at Titchfield Haven in Hampshire. I prefer sketching from life, but see no problem with sketching from (your own) photos as long as it isn't done exclusively at the expense of drawing from life.

Attachments

• avocet_drawings.jpg
    avocet_drawings.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 191
Especialy like the two sketches in the lower left hand corner.

Really nice sense of movement and posture with those,they're all good!

Looking forward to seeing more B :)

Matt

Really nice page of sketches VB, look forward to seeing more. Great birds to sketch!
Will keep an eye on the thread, keep it up!

Thsi is a lovely page of drawings VB - your feel for design is apparent and, when all said and done, drawing is drawing, and the discipline is the same regardless of starting point. Okay, 'life-work' does have the added problem of there being movement involved, but the process is the same - one must observe, make decisions about the salient marks to make and execute those in a sensitive and controlled way to denote form, movement and posture. A good drawing's a good drawing - period
These are good drawings. Lets see some more - soon (ha ha! - there I go again)

These are nice VB. I've been looking forward to seeing more.

I see no problem with painting/drawing from photos either. I take lots of photos and I also sketch from life. Nine times out of ten my paintings are created by pulling together several of my photos, composing the image as I see fit. I'll put things in, arrange the elements, leave things out, invent things and use happy accidents. The important thing for me is that the sketching from life makes you study your subject so that you know what's in your photos, after that, as Tim says, a good drawing/painting is a good drawing/painting surely. (That could open a whole can'o'worms!).

Woody

Ok, the sketchbook has been dusted off and taken out for a ride to a nearby nature reserve. These are the sketches I made this afternoon in a nice cosy hide as the rain fell, of some Black-headed Gulls, Little Egret and a Mediterranean Gull:

Attachments

• gull_sketches.jpg
    gull_sketches.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
another good set of sketches, very jealous of the fact they were done from a hide (what is this luxury item!). Glad to see you've started this thread, make sure you keep adding to it.

Ha, Nick! As the rain fell this afternoon, I did think of your post about being locked out of a hide. Mind you, this one isn't always unlocked!

another good set of sketches, very jealous of the fact they were done from a hide (what is this luxury item!). Glad to see you've started this thread, make sure you keep adding to it.

..time to get that VW Van Nick, with a hatch in the side for observations and desk beside it!

Great sketches VB, the med gull is superb. Keep posting. Must say, not many hides here in Sweden, but there are Moose hunting towers which are very useful off season!

Nice work VB. I love the little rain lines in the top, just about sums up the last month really!

Woody

These Rooks were in the garden today. Rook are frequent visitors because of the food that's put out for both wild birds and my aunt's pet gander, Mahatma (that's what I call him - Mahatma Gander. I love bad puns :king: ).
They stay still for extended periods, so I can sketch them easily enough from the kitchen window, as long as I do not make any sudden movements within the window or they're off like a shot.

Attachments

• rook_sketch.jpg
    rook_sketch.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 138
these are great, it's hard to capture the character of these, and you've been successful! There's an increase in confidence that's showing through aswell.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back