• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this a Brambling? (1 Viewer)

fender

Hi all, i just wanted someone to confirm my sighting of what i believe to be a Brambling male, that visited my garden today.

Regards Phil.

Attachments

• DSC_0005.JPG
    DSC_0005.JPG
    163.5 KB · Views: 413
fender said:
Hi all, i just wanted someone to confirm my sighting of what i believe to be a Brambling male, that visited my garden today.

Regards Phil.
Afraid not Phil,

Far too pink, male Brambling are orange....they would be REALLY orange at this time of year too, with a jet black head.

Keep looking mate,

Steve

The black head certainly made me think Brambling, but as others have said, the underside colouring is too pale, and better for Chaffinch. I think the head is probably dark due to shadow. (Although can we rule out aberrant pale underside colouring? Another pic would be nice ;) )

Jason

J Moss said:
The black head certainly made me think Brambling, but as others have said, the underside colouring is too pale, and better for Chaffinch. I think the head is probably dark due to shadow. (Although can we rule out aberrant pale underside colouring? Another pic would be nice ;) )

Jason

Hi Jason, thanks for that...made me feel a bit better anyway! Afraid i don't have another pic, but will try to get one if the bird in question shows up again.
Regards, Phil.

Ian Hamiltan said:
hi phil looks like a male bullfinch to me.

mmm. Sunderland supporter.

:C :C

I'm going with Chaffinch.

This is a Bullfinch.

Dave

Attachments

• Bullfinch at Pe…29 Mar 2006.jpg
    Bullfinch at Pe…29 Mar 2006.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
J Moss said:

Jason

Look at the colour of the wingbar.

Bramblings have orange wingbars, Chaffinches white/buff. This bird has a whitish wingbar.

It is a Chaffinch.

Brum and Derby for automatic.

We'll be promoted via the play offs.

Anyway we are turning this into a football thread.

Back on topic:

I still think it's a Chaffinch!!

Dave

paulwfromtheden said:
Unlike the Albion....
Yes, this is a male Chaffinch, but I can understand Phil how you thought otherwise. I saw my first Brambling in Mid-Wales a few weeks ago, once you have seen one you will always know the difference.

P.S. come on Millwall beat Forest on saturday & help Bristol City for the first time in your history, never thought I would ever ask Millwall for a favour.

Rod.

The Raptor said:
Yes, this is a male Chaffinch, but I can understand Phil how you thought otherwise. I saw my first Brambling in Mid-Wales a few weeks ago, once you have seen one you will always know the difference.

P.S. come on Millwall beat Forest on saturday & help Bristol City for the first time in your history, never thought I would ever ask Millwall for a favour.

Rod.

Will that do?

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back