• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bristol/Avon Birding (1 Viewer)

Sorry to butt in guys, but have any of you a habitat-type picture that could be uploaded to the Opus article Chew Valley Lake.

The article is nearly complete and would look great with a piccie or two added

Thanks

D

Hi there,

I'm trying to find out which Counties still use the Watsonian Vice County system to record birds in and which go by whatever the political boundary may change to (and why).

The Watsonian Vice County system was set to accurately record and compare historical and modern data and it seems that there can be/is confusion when some counties no longer use this system whilst others do. Does anyone in your county have a view on this ? Discussion here if anyone has a comment:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=142074

ps this is not about getting more or less county ticks, more a question about uniformity in recording.

Johnny Allan

Barn Owls, Little Egret, Cattle Egret at Chew Lake

2 x Cattle Egret, 2 x Little Egret reported seen to West of Heron's Green Pool, Chew Valley Lake sometime around 17:45 on 30 July 09.

3 Barn Owls seen hunting over reeds there between 20:00 and 21:00. [Also (Roe?) deer mother and fawn + two other adults.]

Attachments

• 20090730_HeronsBridge_BarnOwl_300mm_IFVsharp_BF.jpg
    20090730_HeronsBridge_BarnOwl_300mm_IFVsharp_BF.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 56
  • 20090730_HeronsBridge_Egret.jpg
    20090730_HeronsBridge_Egret.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 45
hi

new to this forum

i was a very avid birder from 10 to 16 years olds.

after the long break i've decided to restart my birding.

now a much fuller 42 years i have just bought some new bins and been out a few times.

see the following over the last few weeks in my travels (not really looking)

quite a few kites (oxford)

a few harriers (norfolk/ somerset)

tufted ducks (tewkesbury)

blackcap (my garden)

meadow pipits (cornwall)

k

Around Siston

We live in Siston

In the summer we watched a family of green woodpeckers taking their first flight.

Red Kites are frequent visitors to our area too. We also saw a Kite at Thornbury castle in September

Hi Stephen,

Great Spotted Woodpecker is easy every morning in Kingsgate Park. I hear them drumming at around 8am .

Westerleigh common is ok. The area I refer is the back along the railway line. It has the small lake and the woodland. I have recorded some good birds ie Spotted Flycatcher, Jack Snipe, Hobby and Whinchat.

Darren
The pub garden is still good for Nuthatch & Treecreeper and had a Lesser Spotted in the park many years ago.

Over thirty years ago I worked in a factory that overlooked the common and spent most of my lunchtimes birding there, apart from friday when I went to the Railway Inn.

regards
Merlin

Chew Valley Photo

Sorry to butt in guys, but have any of you a habitat-type picture that could be uploaded to the Opus article Chew Valley Lake.

The article is nearly complete and would look great with a piccie or two added

Thanks

D

I noticed that there was still no photo of the lake, I'd be happy to contribute this one if it's suitable, but am not sure how to do it?

Roberta

Attachments

• Chew Valley Lake.jpg
    Chew Valley Lake.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 53
Hi Merlin,

I am still alive.I thought this thread died a death so stopped posting on it. Was the factory Coopers ?. There is a big lake at the back of there which unfortunaltely can only be watched through railing around the back of some houses. I have had some decent birds there with a party of Mandarins sone Canada Geese (not easy for Yate 8-P) and recently a Cormorant (again not easy for Yate)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back