• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norwich Birding (2 Viewers)

Fantastic Joseph! Although I'll admit to being more than a little green as those probably went over my patch (Costessey GPs) soon after you saw them! At that exact time I was in the garden scanning the sky hopefully as Andy Musgrove also reported a flock of Cranes this morning ("non bins" views of a flock of 9 over Whitlingham heading towards Norwich).

Thanks very much for all the info on these birds, always good to put a record in context. Wonder if they'll end up at Welney? Certainly a moment worth waiting for as you say Nick, easily the best species i've had on site. Gutted to hear that dendroica! The birds weren't moving particularly fast, hung around a few minutes but pretty high up as they left so may have gained speed.

Congrats to those who saw the Cranes yesterday. Unfortunately for me there was no second wave of birds over Whitlingham this morning!

I did have a Buzzard over, mobbed by Jackdaws, a site record 182 Pochard* and a very pale Egyptian Goose.

* As far as I know, feel free to correct if anyone has had a higher count.

Attachments

• Pochard flock (800x602).jpg
    Pochard flock (800x602).jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 259
  • Egyptian Goose pale (800x602).jpg
    Egyptian Goose pale (800x602).jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 225
Great White Egret was showing nicely both sides of the Three Score Tollgate Way bridge at lunchtime today: presumably this is the bird from Marlingford? After being flushed by a Grey Heron from the Earlham side of the bridge, it favoured the flooded pools SW of the bridge. Also at least 5 Little Egrets along this stretch and 1+ Little Owl.

Attachments

• P1020187.jpg
    P1020187.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 186
  • P1020208.jpg
    P1020208.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 181
  • P1020438.jpg
    P1020438.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 209
  • P1020489.jpg
    P1020489.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 201
I had a male Mealy Redpoll in with a flock of c80 Siskin and c10 Lesser Redpoll along the south edge of the Little Broad at Whitlingham this morning.

Not much of interest on the Great Broad, other than the usual little hybrid goose and 92 Pochard.

On Friday I had a Coal Tit in trees near Cow Tower, which appears to be my first 'inner ring road' bird.

The great white egret was on West Earlham marsh this morning, just by the University Village. Flew West towads Tollgate Way bridge. Other highlights were two nice mealy redpoll on the feeders at the East end of UEA Broad giving the other redpolls and siskin a hard time.

Redpoll species

I had a male Mealy Redpoll in with a flock of c80 Siskin and c10 Lesser Redpoll along the south edge of the Little Broad at Whitlingham this morning.

On Jan 22 I had a flock of approx. 11 redpolls by Little Broad including the male mealy. I was unsure if I also had a female mealy with the male or whether the female bird was a lesser.
No one has reported a mealy at Whitlingham again until now. The redpoll flock only stayed briefly when I was there (on 22 Jan).
Am unconvinced mealy and lesser redpoll are two species. I was only happy to claim the male mealy from the few male lessers present.

Green-winged teal and Eurasian teal different species
Today I saw the Breydon green-wing teal. When I arrived the bird was at the front and side on, showing the vertical stripe. When the bird moved it was hard to tell it from the Eurasian teal but the speculum was a different shade of green, observers agreed.
From what I have read, the DNA of green-winged teal and Eurasian teal is more distinctive than that between mealy and lesser redpoll.
Perhaps the distribution of the two teal species has something to do with the genetic differences.

Sounds very like today. I went back after my walk around the Great Broad and all of the Redpolls and most of the Siskin had gone. Presumably there is a large 'superflock' that divides into smaller groups and feeds in different places, including Carey's Meadow and Thorpe areas. I had side by side views of the Mealy and a Lesser for comparison.

On Jan 22 I had a flock of approx. 11 redpolls by Little Broad including the male mealy. I was unsure if I also had a female mealy with the male or whether the female bird was a lesser.
No one has reported a mealy at Whitlingham again until now. The redpoll flock only stayed briefly when I was there (on 22 Jan).
Am unconvinced mealy and lesser redpoll are two species. I was only happy to claim the male mealy from the few male lessers present.

On this subject, last Sunday I had a large flock of siskin on the Yare just up from the A11 bridge towards UEA. There must have been over 300 birds in the stand of alders. Quite a racket and the biggest flock of siskin I've seen in years!

An excellent start to the day when on my way to work around 7:30 I noticed an adult Shag sat about 10 feet away on a ledge along the wall along the edge of the River Wensum. It appeared to have roosted there judging from the amount of guano! I couldn't think of what the bridge nearby was called, hence 'law courts bridge'. Will attach a photo this evening.

Flock of up to 42 Waxwings along Cambridge Street last week (and up to 30 the week before). Finally caught up with a group of 30+ yesterday late afternoon but unfortunately I was on my way out and despite a good search of the area with a camera in hand this morning I've been unable to locate them. I can see their favoured spot from my front door so hopefully they'll return!

A friend of mine saw the Shag today.. It's not sounding well.. It hasn't moved and is shaking! I wonder if someone can try and rescue the poor thing

It is apparently on a ledge behind the Art college car park.. On south side of the river near the playhouse
Is that we're you saw it?

I went looking on lunch break bit must have walked past as I didn't see it from N side

Sacha

That doesn't sound good. No, I saw it just west of Whitefriars bridge (see attached map), so between then and late morning it had moved west through a couple of bridges. It wasn't shaking when I saw it, but as I was quite close (that bit of path has a wall behind it so I couldn't observe from further away) I took a couple of record shots and then left it alone.

On my way home I kept an eye out between Fye Bridge (Magdalen St) and Bishopgate and didn't see it, although from the sound of it, it is more likely to be near New Mills if its still around.

A friend of mine saw the Shag today.. It's not sounding well.. It hasn't moved and is shaking! I wonder if someone can try and rescue the poor thing

It is apparently on a ledge behind the Art college car park.. On south side of the river near the playhouse
Is that we're you saw it?

I went looking on lunch break bit must have walked past as I didn't see it from N side

Sacha

Attachments

• Shag 1 (800x600).jpg
    Shag 1 (800x600).jpg
    316.1 KB · Views: 158
  • city centre map.jpg
    city centre map.jpg
    347.9 KB · Views: 119
The shag was by Whitefriars bridge near the law courts, no camera.

Later I had the bird roosting behind Elm Hill off the monastery car park.
Woke up when I looked over the wall. I took a few shots, moving back out of sight between each one, as the bird watched me.

Attachments

• shag from Norwich monastery car park wall.JPG
    shag from Norwich monastery car park wall.JPG
    438.5 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
I have to say that when I saw it this morning it was diving frequently and seemed to be ok .

That's good to hear ... Will be looking for it pre / during lunch break from work round the corner..

Always nice to see something unusual in the city !

Good find James

Shag still there this morning. Can be seen from the car park behind the art college, near Playhouse

Ps Doesn't look ill or weak to me.. Nice glossy plumage

Last edited:
Glad u got it mate. As I left for work this morning I was lucky enough to watch 21x waxwings drop on to the telegraph wires in front of me. Superb! I watched as hey took off only to land again on telegraph wires on Gloucester street ,Norwich . They've brighten my day up even if it is overcast out here!

R. Cleverley

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back