• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very small Black/White garden bird? (1 Viewer)

Talon 1

There are no pictures as i had no chance to take them.

But it was a very small bird of about a blue tit size. It had a Black type upper head and the rest of its body was pure white. It was short and stubby with no tail almost wren type shape.
At first i thought Marsh tit but it was far to white.
Could this be a Blackcap ? This bird was very small though. :h?:

Doesn't sound like a Marsh Tit - the only thing vaguely like it that I can think of would be a Long-tailed Tit as far as 'whiteness' and size go, but the tail is all wrong.

Doesn't sound like a blackcap either, the (not very good) picture below is a male in my garden last year. Was yours whiter than that? Blackcaps are slightly larger than blue tits as well. No idea what else it could be though. Hopefully someone more experienced can tell you! :h?:

Attachments

• Resize of Resize of Resize of Resize of PICT0007.JPG
    Resize of Resize of Resize of Resize of PICT0007.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 168
Maybe a Long-taile dtit without a tail for some reason? Apart form the tail, the description is perfect.

MAybe a cat has had a go at it or something, as I doubt it would moult all its tail feathers at once.

Was it calling?

GV

Joern Lehmhus said:
sounds like some kind of escapee?

It always amazes me how many weird and wonderful escapees are wandering the gardens of our members :) I have to say I think it sounds more like a bird not seen very well!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back