• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South African Trip report (1 Viewer)

jdbirdman

John Dempsey (jdbirdman)
South Africa 22nd aug 25th July

As a birding destination it would be difficult to find a country that offers such an enticing combination for visiting birders. South Africa, not only offers a rich diversity of fauna, excellent road infrastructure and accessibility to bird rich areas,it is also excellent value for money.

The rate of exchange at the time of our departure was R15.82 to the the £1.00. This more than made up for my initial expenditure of £600 for flights._ We flew with Air France to Johannesburg via Paris and booked an additional British Airways flight from Johannesburg to Cape Town to enjoy arguably the best Pelagic trip in the world. The cost of the internal flight was an extra £140. With hindsight this could have been pre- booked in South Africa by friends for a lot less.

_Arriving in mid winter (our summer) July 22nd, it was rather chilly in Johannesburg, but this was an unusually cold winter by South African standards and did not last long._ Mornings were chilly but by 10.00 am temperatures were more than pleasant.
Fuel and Meals were inexpensive. We paid little more than a £1.00 for an ample breakfast and the best fillet steak meal cost little over £3.00

Crime, we saw little of, but that does not mean it doesn't exist. We were always on our guard not to leave valuables showing._ In general people of all creeds were friendly and helpful.

My first three weeks were spent with my none birding family so birding was not extensive. Even so I had reached the 200 species mark during that time without trying too hard._ Finishing on 421 species was a personal best for me._ So all in all "a successful trip."
Areas covered from start to finish are as follows,___________________
Pilinesberg NP 22nd-25 July________________________________________________________
Drakensberg (Sani Pass) 25-26th July_________________________________________
Durban coast, St Lucia, Cape Vidal 1st Aug-10 Aug.
Serious birding started with the group in Dullstroom 12th Aug-13th Aug
Kruger National Park 13th-18th Aug______________________________________
Magoobaskloof 18th-19th Aug___________________________________________________
Nylsvlei 19th Aug 20th Aug,__
Western Cape 22nd-26th Aug__
covered here,Overberg Western Cape Reserve and Roo'els. Caldon, kirstenboucsh

I have avoided mentioning every one of the 413 species observed as I will putting them on the species list at the bottom of this report shortly.

23rd July-26th July
My first African species was Grey headed Gull at the airport.
We picked up common birds during_ the drive from the airport to Lynette-Van de Heevers house (a much appreciated South African whom we stayed with for a couple of days and who became an invaluable resource and companion).__
Crowned Plover, Laughing Dove, Indian Myna, Black shouldered Kite, Fiscal Shrike._

Lynette's garden was a little haven and other common birds were added._ Cape White eye, Cape Sparrows, Crested Barbet, Black Sunbird and White bellied sunbird. Masked weavers, Spotted backed weaver, Cape Robin, Olive Thrush, and Palm swifts zooming over head. Also over the next couple of day an over wintering Fairy flycatcher put in an appearance as did the ever present Hadeda Ibis,_ Speckled and Red faced Mousebirds. _

My trip out to a restaurant ( Lynette's choice) gave me Cape Reed warbler, Thick billed Weaver and my first Raptor Little Sparrowhawk. After saying farewell to Lynette for the time being we headed to Pilenesberg

26th-29th July July Pilenesberg NP
Black Eagle were nesting close to Manyane Camp and were seen soaring above a Kopjie on consecutive days. Striped Kingfisher,_ Lazy cisticola, Spectacled Weaver, Glossy Starling, Marico Flycatcher, Marico Sunbird, Rock and Ramaron Pigeon and three species of Hornbill, Grey, Yellow billed and Red billed were all present at the visitors centre._ The brilliantly coloured Crimson Breasted Shrike stole the show as they paraded outside my chalet on the lawns._ Also Blue Waxbills and Melba finches were common visitors to my garden,as was Chin-spot Batis, Golden breasted Bunting, and Crested and Swainsons Franklin._ The Speciality of the park Southern Pied Babbler were also added. An imitation call of Pearl spotted Owl proved successful with one individual becoming my latest lifer.

Game drives were also productive Violet eared Waxbills along the road side grasses, while Lilac breasted Rollers perched conspicuously looking for anything that moved._ Apart from the Black Eagles, raptors were surprisingly scarce. A stop at a picnic site presented great opportunities to photograph Golden breasted Bunting, Familiar Chat and Sentinel Rock thrush._ The adjacent pans held over wintering Greenshank, and_ Wood Sandpiper. Ethiopian Snipe made up the third wader. African Fish Eagle, Spoonbills and Pied a Kingfisher were present._ Night drives gave decent spotlight views of Bronzewinged Courser and Fiery necked Nightjar.

Southern Boubou and Brubru were encountered on the lead up to the hide the following morning along with Brown-hooded Kingfisher.

Drakensberg_ (sani Pass)
29th-July-1st Aug
I decided to try the Sani Pass for Lammergier and was not disappointed. The Drakensberg specials also included Drakensberg Prinia, Drakensberg Siskin, Orange breasted Rockjumper._ Cape Bunting, Long Crested Eagle Cape Batis, Cape Rockthrush and Cape Vulture. White necked Raven, Sickle-winged Chat and Jackal Buzzard were also found._ Due to fires in the area Wattled crane had moved away from their regular fields and I never found any during my trip._
St Lucia_/ Cape Vidal___________________________________________________________

5th-8th August
A Franklin's Gull_ was a real surprise at Umhulanga rocks the day before.Not a lifer for me but a great find._Anyone thinking of spending time here I would highly recommend Paulette's Place an excellent B&B with friendly hosts. [email protected]
Leaving for St Lucia._ Kelp Gull ,Swift Tern_ paraded the beach, while Natal Robin, Southern Tchagra, Dusky Flycatcher, Bronzed Manikin were found in the surrounding sand forests, as was Orange breasted Bushshrike. The Gwalagwala Forest was a great piece of coastal forest and held good species including Trumpeter Hornbills, Green Coucal, Forest Weaver,Tambourine Dove, Puffback, White eared Barbet, Solitary and Terrestrial Bulbul, A trip to Cape Vidal provided the first returning migrant Yellow-billed Kite.__ Long crested Eagles, Gymnogene. were also observed on the approach road along with Lizard Buzzard._ Waders were few but included Black-winged Stilts White fronted and Kittlitz's Plover, Wood Sandpiper and Crowned Plover. The adjoining wetland held Egrets, Goliath, Purple and Black headed Heron.

Serious birding time
11th August
Lynette van de Heever introduced me to an excellent south African birder Duan Biggs and his girlfriend from New York to at last get some serious birding in._ It turned out to be a good day. Duan had an ear for calls and quickly located many species I may other wise have missed.

We took a road leading to Pienggisvier for some thornveld species. Along this road the farm fields held Rufous naped Lark, Greater Kestrel, Northern Black bellied Korhaan, Namaqua Dove, Desert Cisticola, Black throated Canary, Secretary bird and Wattled Plover._ The thornveld itself had Long tailed Shrike on nearly every exposed branch. Rattling Cisticola, African Hoopoe and four species of Robin or Robin bushchats (as they are now referred to ) White throated, White browed, Cape and Bearded. Raptors included Lizzard Buzzard the ever present Black shouldered Kite and Brown Snake Eagle._
_An area of overgrazed grass gave me my first Capped Wheatear. Duans persistence tying to pinpoint_ Quail finch paid off giving_ us crippling views, as a party came down to drink in a nearby stream. Chestnut-backed Finchlark gave good views too. Overhead_ Little Swift were always around and along the road back we picked up Burchel's Starling, White-browed Sparrow Weaver and surprisingly Southern Pied Babbler!
Scaly feathered Finch, Bishops and Weavers all in none breeding plumage were in large flocks._ Unlike Red Capped Larks ( we saw only a couple)_ A late visit to a dam near to Pretoria gave us most of the common wildfowl._ Hottentot, Cape,_ Red billed Teal, African Shoveler. Great crested Grebe Levelliant's Cisticola Marsh Sandpiper, Little Stint and Ruff._were all ticked. All in all 57 lifers were added to my list a great day birding! Thanks to Duan his girlfriend and of course Lynette!
Dullstroom_____________________________________________________________________________________________ 13th August
The drive to Dullstroom for grassland specials was of mixed fortunes The Wattle Cranes I had hoped for were not around, neither did we manage Stanley's Bustard._ We did however manage Gurney's Sugarbird, Ground Woodpecker (Pair) and Greater Black-winged Plover. Mountain and Buff Streaked Chat, Sentinel Rockthrush Yellow rumped Widow, Cape Canary, Black-throated Canary, Grey-winged Franklin and Orange-throated Longclaw A visit to a Bald Ibis Colony on route to the Kruger was productive with birds active in and around the colony. Purple Heron and a Black Stork and a pair of Secretary birds filled us with anticipation as to what Kruger would hold. Brown throated Martin and Black Swift were also ticked.
______
_Kruger_______________________________________________________________ 13th-18 August
As we approached Kruger Red crested Korhaan crossed in front of us. One of many we would encounter in Kruger. On entering the Kruger, (while I was left to do the checking in) Scarlet breasted sunbird entertained our party outside. Tawny Eagle perched conspicuously as we approached Pretoroskop our first camp. The first of many_Girraff strolled close to the road. Quite a thrill for Kelly Hutton a wildlife biologist from Arizona I can still see the delight on her face even now!
Driving around the Pretoroskop area and the southern loops of the park gave us Purple crested Lourie, Green pigeon, Three streaked Tchagra, Little Bee eater and an immature Yellow throated Longclaw Bearded Woodpecker, and Red billed Woodhoopoe._ Mocking Chats were on the rocky outcrops.
Skukuza
Visits to picnic spots and hides at our second camp Skukuza gave us Crowned Hornbill, Black Rail, Red Helmet Shrike, White crowned Shrike,_ and Brown headed Parrot, While on arrival Black-headed Oriole. and other common birds kept our interest including Glossy and Greater Blue eared Starlings, Lesser striped, White throated and Wire tailed Swallow
Letaba
_Local knowledge is always asset so we were lucky to have Dalena Mostert along with us. Dalena has been studying raptors for some years now and has helped in research for a book on nesting habits of Souther African Raptors to be published soon . Dalena's extensive knowledge of nesting sites became an invaluable bonus. She was later to show us ( at respectable distance of course) breeding Taita Falcon and African Crowned Eagle guarding her nest. We met Dalena at the Phalaborwa gate and picked up Brubru, Golden tailed Woodpecker, Grey headed Sparrow,White bellied, Marico and Scarlet Chested Sunbirds
At the Letaba River Red breasted Swallows had returned early and Pied, Malachite Kingfisher and Giant Kingfisher were viewed from the bridge.
Picking up bird all the way to Shingwedzi became tougher as the Mopane area was not as productive._ We did however find a few raptors and Ground Hornbill. At the camp Greater blue eared Starlings and Black headed Oriole were among the_ more common birds. On our return we stopped at a Hyena Kill and were rewarded with Lappet Hooded and White-backed Vultures. Groundscraper Thrush, Red headed Weaver, Black Flycatcher.___ A Dam en route to Punda Maria held_ White headed vulture and_ Kori Bustard among Marbou Storks.
Those raptors that were so scarce outside protected areas were now becoming common, emphasizing the point of how good these protective areas are. Bateleur, Marshal Eagle, African Hawk Eagle, Brown Snake Eagle, and two very early returning migrants, Lesser Spotted Eagle and_ Whalberg's Eagle were ticked along with Yellow-billed and Black-shouldered Kite._
Punda and Pufuri
All the camps held interesting Species but Heuglins Robin at Punda Maria was much appreciated by the Group._ In fact the Pufuri area provided some of the birds of the trip Dickinson's Kestrel and a Pair of_ Bohm's Spine-tails, Mashona_ Hyliota,Tropical Boubou, Long tailed Starling Yellow-billed Oxpecker. and Saddle-billed Stork our seventh sighting._ Other birds like Green spotted Dove Collared Sunbird_ Spectacled Weaver, Dusky Flycatcher, Bearded Robin, Southern boubou were also observed.
Warning!
Leaving the Kruger could have gone drastically wrong._ A very nervous encounter with a charging bull elephant was not for the faint hearted_ and the a short detour route to avoid some of the same from a second bull (obviously in musk) drove us in to a herd of elephants with young NOT RECOMMENDED!_ Tip don't go with a trailer! Or if you do unhitch it and leave it in camp. If you have to get out of a situation fast by reversing the last thing you need is to be towing is a trailer!
The following day we headed for Hoedspruit I'm unsure whether these sites are confidential, so as to keep disturbance to a minimum I'll avoid pointing out the exact sites of the nesting Crowned Eagle and the breeding Taita Falcons. For me, these were my most rewarding photographs taken throughout the trip._ Unfortunately the Taita's were too distant and I could only manage a record shot._ Cape Rockthrush and Rock Martin were also found._ A dark phase Booted Eagle.was also a first for the trip not so the White necked Ravens. A trip to Marieskop a trade for Magoebaskloof which_ had mist and rain when we arrived (and was forecast to stay for a couple of days)._turned out to be a good move. Marieskop did not disappoint either._ Chorister Robin, Lesser and Greater double collared Sunbird Southern Swee waxbill, and Yellow streaked Bulbul and the delightful Cape Batis were the pick of many good birds there.

So after a washout at Magoebaskloof due to rain we stopped at Nylsvlei not before a lucky find. A superb male Red breasted Sparrowhawk
Nylsvlei__________________________________________________________________________________________________ 20th Aug
One of the premier birding spots in S.Africa we didn't expect any water in the floodplain but it was a stop overnight on route back to Joburg before flying out to Cape Town._ We were rewarded with Painted snipe Saddle billed Stork, Marsh Owl, Red breasted Swallow and the usual waterbirds with Jacana's and Ethiopian Snipe everywhere._ Herons were few but we did get a number of Squacco Herons also Purple Heron and Goliath Heron. A nearby farm gave us Greater Honeyguide

The Cape 22nd-25th
So it was on to the Cape_ to meet up with Andrew Hester a guide I had made arrangements with to show us around the best birding spots._ With only three full days due to a scheduled Pelagic it didn't give us much time for all of the endemics._ Andrew was an excellent birder and nice guy preferring to do all the driving_himself. First port of call was Western Cape reserve where we picked up White_ pelican Malachite sunbird and Black Harrier. Karoo Prinia ,Karoo Robin ,Karoo Lark,Yellow Canary,Cape Franklin and Southern Black Koraan. A stop at a hide gave us great views of both Flamingo's plus a few over wintering and early migrant waders inc. Whimbrel, Greenshank Curlew Sandpiper._ Kittlitz's and White fronted Plover were also present. Bokmakierie, Malachite Sunbirds in the fynbos added a splash of colour on what was a dull day._ Also added was_ Grey backed Cisticola.
The following day Andrew headed the group to Overberg_ the southern tip of the Karoo._ Despite a wet start we added Red Capped Lark, Rufous eared Warbler, Pale Chanting Goshawk, Ludwigs Bustard, Southern Great tit,_ Spikehealed Lark,_ Karoo Eremomela, Thick-billed Lark,and Steppe Buzzard._ A drive to Katbakkies Pass for Cinnamon breasted Warbler proved successful_ This is one of the most difficult endemic to catch up with._ Dusky Sunbird was also a good bird and not one I expected Karoo Chat Tractac Chat, Larklike Bunting and Booted Eagle rounded the day off.
The Pelagic went ahead as planned despite the weather which was anything but pleasant, but the birds made up for that. Thanks to the radar we were able to latch onto a long liner. Yellow-nosed black-browed Albatross were not new for me but were new for the trip. Salvins and Northern Royal Albatross were lifers. As were the common White-chinned Petrels Wilson's Petrel, and Sub Antarctic Skua_ A lone Arctic Tern flew above the graceful Sooty Shearwaters and Pintado Petrels, Northern and Southern Giant Petrel also made appearances._ There were one or two casualties due to seasickness but all in all despite the heavy sea and drizzle It was a good trip._ We were rewarded with Peregrine falcon over the cliff face as we passed Cape Point. Bank Crowned and Cape Cormorant lined the Rocks as Black Oystercatcher probed the oyster beds
After an early morning visit to Boulders for the African (formally jackass) Penguin colony._ We met Andrew at Kirstenbousch Botanical Gardens Our first bird was Sharp-billed Honeyguide followed by Forest Canary Cape Sugarbird_ Cape Franklin and Cinnamon Dove._ Had time not dictated things we may have lingered. A stunning drive to Roo els was matched by the stunning Orange breasted Sunbird and Malachite Sunbird._ With the aid of a tape we managed Grassbird.__ Cape Rockjumper and an early Greater Striped Swallow were the only new additions but the birding was good Sentinel Rockthrush was also found here._
The Landscape at Caledon an hour and a half drive away reminded me of home. Green fields and sheep grazing in the meadows except this field held what was to be our last bird of the trip._ It was fitting that after five weeks of birding with the last two weeks being flat out we should end our first trip to south Africa with the enigmatic and graceful Blue Crane._ This was not rehearsed just circumstantial._ A personal best of 421 species for myself and 360 for the group I would say we didn't do to bad for winter!

Last edited:
JD

I have pasted your trip report into a word document and will read it tomorrow. Thanks for putting it in so quickly. I noticed you had 421 species. Boy, I think that that is more birds than I have seen in the 7 years I have been birding. I will read with interest at what you saw.

Re trip report

Ok thanks john
Of all my travels nowhere has produced that number of species in one visit in winter. Even Australia 267 species was the best I could do, with such a big country I could have observed many more but the amount of travelling involved was too much.

It became apparent during my South African trip that one can become blaze about their observations when such large number of species are present. I was tending to tick rather than observe which is why I need to return just to persue my digi-scoping.
John

WOW! What a trip!

I've always wanted to visit Africa! What wonderful birds you saw!

They all have such great names, too.
Just one question: Are Mousebirds like our Titmice?

B :)

Al

Not really Al! They are a smallish . A strange mouse like birds with a more conicle bill and stiff long tails that they use for ballance as the clamber (mouselike, usually upright) through the branches. I may have picture of one somwhere. If I have I will upload it so you can see what I mean.
john

JD

What a fantastic array of birds you saw. What amazing species names as well. I can see what you mean about seeing so many that you tend not to actually study them. So many birds would stop anyones concentration. I hope you do get to go back with your camera to record a good percentage of them. That would make an interesting gallery of of photos.

I like the bit that having seen a remarkable amount of birds you go into serious birding mode. Showoff: lol

<A very nervous encounter with a charging bull elephant was not for the faint hearted>

Now that bit, plus the accompanying piece where you ran into a herd of Elephants, now that gives this report a twist, but did you need that twist. There's adrenalin rushes and adrenalin rushes. Boy how high do you want to get?? Great report JD.

Thanks john I have uploaded a few shots of the birds I encountered during my trip. The elephant encounter was one I would not like to repeat. When u have huge bull stop literally feet from you winsheald it is very scary. Luckily we were let off the hook as he decided not to carry through his threat. but it was intense to say the least. The instinct to get out the vehicle and run for your life is one of those fight or flight situations which is also a very strong instinct to overcome. Of course had any of us gotten out that would have been it. That was the only time during the whole trip I felt threatened. Its agreat place! Hope you like the photo's
john

I wonder how many people would have stood their ground in such circumstances. I have fairly strong nerves but what you described, well I think that they would have been put under the severest test.

Regarding the photos. Yes I have seen those incredible shots and placed my comments on each and every one of them. Wonderful JD. I should think that you have a gallery of photos to be proud of if these photos are anything to go by.

TRIP REPORTS GALLERY

A NEW SECTION IN GALLERY IS OPEN FOR PICS FROM TRIPS, I HAVE MOVED SOME OF JDs PICS INTO IT.

THE LESSER STRIPED SWALLOW IS MAGNIFICENT:t:

steve

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back