• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawke Frontier 10x32 PC v Frontier 8x32 PC (1 Viewer)

Solar Cycles

I've recently ordered and received a pair of Hawke Frontier 10x32 PC, as of yet I haven't taken them outside to field test. I've played around with them indoors, trying to compare with my old Bresser Safari 8x32. They do seem brighter and a little sharper, but before my 7 days before I can return them runs out, would I be better off with the Frontier 8X32 PC, which does have a better FOV. Im more than happy with the 10x, as they are a step up in class from my old Bressers, but before I get them dirty, would the 8x offer me more light in lowlight situations.

I've recently ordered and received a pair of Hawke Frontier 10x32 PC, as of yet I haven't taken them outside to field test. I've played around with them indoors, trying to compare with my old Bresser Safari 8x32. They do seem brighter and a little sharper, but before my 7 days before I can return them runs out, would I be better off with the Frontier 8X32 PC, which does have a better FOV. Im more than happy with the 10x, as they are a step up in class from my old Bressers, but before I get them dirty, would the 8x offer me more light in lowlight situations.

Hi. I just bought a pair of those also and I think they are quite good except on the dullest of days which we have been having here lately and I don't think the colour is as saturated as my other Hawke bins which are 8x.

They seem to exhibit a slight greyishness which becomes more apparent in lower duller light but its only noticable when you compare it to other bins that don't have this.

I think you should keep them and don't worry about the 8x32 as it won't really be much better in low light. You really need an 8x42 upwards to start getting anything low light useful. I have a Hawke 8x56 ED and my Leica 10x32 HD are almost as useful in low light because I assume the optics are better quality infact it seems to be something to do with the contrast rather than light gathering but I would still prefer the 8x56 for later evening walks or early morning but that depends on how light I'm feeling like travelling!

My advice is go get them dirty. I think you will enjoy using them outside as I have and later on look at possibly getting an 8x42 etc for lower light use.

I would just finally add that I am fairly impressed by these Hawke 10x32 given that I have a Leica 10x32 HD to compare them against. I find that they actually have a lot of similarities which is good I think although I would just score the Leica perhaps a little better in almost every aspect but it is only a little and they do cost 10x more!????

If these Hawkes were bad then I just wouldn't be able to use them so the fact that I find them well usable I guess gives them the thumbs up

Hi. I just bought a pair of those also and I think they are quite good except on the dullest of days which we have been having here lately and I don't think the colour is as saturated as my other Hawke bins which are 8x.

They seem to exhibit a slight greyishness which becomes more apparent in lower duller light but its only noticable when you compare it to other bins that don't have this.

I think you should keep them and don't worry about the 8x32 as it won't really be much better in low light. You really need an 8x42 upwards to start getting anything low light useful. I have a Hawke 8x56 ED and my Leica 10x32 HD are almost as useful in low light because I assume the optics are better quality infact it seems to be something to do with the contrast rather than light gathering but I would still prefer the 8x56 for later evening walks or early morning but that depends on how light I'm feeling like travelling!

My advice is go get them dirty. I think you will enjoy using them outside as I have and later on look at possibly getting an 8x42 etc for lower light use.

I would just finally add that I am fairly impressed by these Hawke 10x32 given that I have a Leica 10x32 HD to compare them against. I find that they actually have a lot of similarities which is good I think although I would just score the Leica perhaps a little better in almost every aspect but it is only a little and they do cost 10x more!????

If these Hawkes were bad then I just wouldn't be able to use them so the fact that I find them well usable I guess gives them the thumbs up
Thanks for the reply Clive. I was looking at the Hawke 8x43 ED after reading very favourable reviews, but the Frontier's were such a good price from Uttings that I plumped for them. I must say if the Leica's are only a little better, then they are indeed a fine binocular. It sounds like you have quite a collection of optics there.|:D|

Sorry Clive I meant the 8x36 Hawke ED, Uttings had them at a good price but this was still £140 more.

Would the new Opticron Explorer WA 8x42 be a better bet, they are phase coated, have a better FOV, and of course probably better light gathering. It's stretching my budget, but would be prepared to pay the difference if they offered me more.

Last edited:
Sorry Solar, I'm not up to speed on many binoculars except the ones I own or have owned. On paper the Explorer looks fine but it isn't as compact as the Hawke and I personally really like the compactness and find the FOV perfectly good. Again for me personally I am not a fan of ultrawide FOV bins and the chaeper ones have just more of a soft edge. You will find just as many people though that really must have the widest field possible. To me it can just make everything in the view look smaller but is great for scenery. Comfortably wide is good enough and keeps the concentration around the centre.

I did in the past have and Opticron DBA 10x42 which was great except for the greenish cast (and I never found the focus to be as accuarate as needed) which I think was down to the Silver coated prismes but I had the original model although when I compared it to the more recent model I actually found it to be a lot better.

You really could go on forever searching and trying and buying and selling and buying more etc. I have 4 binoculars now because my Leica focus became very sticky and they needed serviced so I started again buying back-up pairs. The Leica I found great as an only pair for all round use but as I say they let me down pretty soon after I bought them used and I now think the seller knew there was soemthing not right with them although they could have had them repaired as I did under warranty.

I was out yesterday giving the Hawke 10x32 a good try out and I have to say I found the 10x to be great (I generally prefer 10x bins) and the compactness also and the ease of usability and no eyestrain. While out I had the opportunity to try a Swaro 80mm scope and the clarity was very pure compared to the Hawke bins with as I say that slight grayish dullness but nevertheless the Hawke bins were well good enough to get good viewing of everything I saw. I think if they had some ED lenses and maybe better coatings then they would really be an absolutely excellent binocular which makes me wonder why Hawke don't produce higher spec 32mm models because these little Frontier seem to have everything except that final bit of extra light and colour. My little Hawke 8x25 Frontier don't have that grayishness and have great colour and contrast so I was sort of expecting these larger 10x32 to be similar. If only they had been or maybe its possible there is some variation in the production? I can't otherwise explain it being that they are both Frontier phase corrected models. The 8x25 are much more like my 8x56 ED.

Anyhow I bought the 10x32 untried just to have something that I could bash about and not worry about and they fit the bill very well for what I paid. I have bought and immediately returned binoculars which cost several times more and should have been better such as a Hawke 10x36 ED Frontier which was so soft off centre that it gave me immediate eyestrain and its build etc wasn't as much to my liking as thes 10x32.

So for the price I think the 10x32 are a very decent little binocular and I will be using mine a lot as they really are good enough for what I need. My Leica are probably more than I actually need but its nice to have them also.

Best thing is to get to try as many bins as possible as in the the end its what you prefer is the main thing. I only bought the Hawke 10x32 because they were going half price and I wasn't going to loose out a lot if they were bad and luckily they are quite good and in some respects very good such as in compactness and ease of use and they are pretty sharp over distance as I found out yesterday. If they had been optically more like my 8x25 or 8x56 as far as clarity and colour then they would have been an unbelievable deal. I wonder is the the 8x32 model more like my others? If it is then I might recomend that you change to that but you have to weigh up wether you want to change to an 8x model were you will gain useful aspects but ultimately lose on distant detail. I have owned several top 8x32 models but I always in the end prefer the 10x.

I don't think there is much that is better out there than these 10x32 for under £100 but I cannot of course say for sure not having tried everything available. You can either search on or decide to go with those and keep an eye out for something better in future if you need it?

I'm afraid I don't think anyone is going to be able to tell you definitively "This binocular is the one you must buy". It just doesn't work like that as there are so many different models and prices and new models appearing practically daily. All I can say is I have owned about 20 pairs in all differnt prices and magnifications etc and am fairly picky about what I find usable and for me these 10x32 Frontier are very good for the money and even money aside they are a competent little binocular. Not the best ever compared to higher end but is that really needed in most instances?

I really do like 10x32 binoculars if they are good and I really look forward in future to Hawke or someone bringing out out a well priced version with the colour and transmission of my other Hawke bins or maybe even better. Bound to happen, but when? For now I think they are called Leica HD.

Last edited:
Thank you for a very informative post, on my Frontiers the image is sharp except around the edges, and the colours probably a shade warmer. Like you I do prefer 10x for the extra detail one gets, I also bought some 10x25 PC Frontiers, but find them difficult to use due to the small exit pupil. They just don't seem to fit around my eyes, if you know what I mean. I think I will keep the 10x32, as like you I like their compactness, and image quality. The Frontier 8x36 ED would have been a good buy if it wasn't for the weight of them, I already have a crushed vertebrae in my neck, so having 700g of Frontiers dangling around there, would have been a rather painful experience.

Thank you for a very informative post, on my Frontiers the image is sharp except around the edges, and the colours probably a shade warmer. Like you I do prefer 10x for the extra detail one gets, I also bought some 10x25 PC Frontiers, but find them difficult to use due to the small exit pupil. They just don't seem to fit around my eyes, if you know what I mean. I think I will keep the 10x32, as like you I like their compactness, and image quality. The Frontier 8x36 ED would have been a good buy if it wasn't for the weight of them, I already have a crushed vertebrae in my neck, so having 700g of Frontiers dangling around there, would have been a rather painful experience.

Morning Solar

I always wondered about those 10x25 Frontier but it seems like I was correct in going for the 8x25 although they can have quite bad flaring.

When I was comparing my Leica to the Hawke 10x32 yesterday I seemed to notice that the Leica needed a lot more constant refocusing which seemed to me to show that the Hawke have a better depth of field than the Leica. I think this is part of the reason that I sent the Leica for repair because with those the focusing is more important and their stickiness was really highlighted. Thankfully now they are not as bad. Maybe they will even free up fully eventually at least hopefully not foul up again.

What I have found is that I quite like the amazingly fast focus of the Hawke 10x32. It takes almost nothing of a turn to go from near to far focus and yet they focus quite well, although I have the diopter set way off to the plus side were normally I would have it centered, but since it works I don't care.

I should also say that my Leica can show some sort of cloudiness to the view occasionally similar to what I have described as the grayish cast with the Hawke and then at other times they are totally clear so even the top models do not always behave perfectly.

Every model has some compromise and the Hawke 10x32 has everything in good balance, nothing spectacularly good or bad and to me this is much preferrable than having some particular annoying aspect. I don't think the Hawke have any such a thing so I will be keeping mine as they are just to useful.

Mine seem fine for edge sharpness in fact this is one of the things that I find commendable about them. As long as it does not distract me then I'm happy and I've had much worse for edge sharpness such as the Bushnell 10x42 HD which is a great bin but that one I sold.

If you are going to keep them then take them out and about let us know how you get on. I had great views yesterday with the Hawke of hundreds of greylag geese taking off and flying about. Just a great sight and I definitely think the 10x helped but I know my 8x56 are great for that also. I don't get as close or as much detail but the brightness is superb. Even my little 8x25 Hawke have less CA than my Leica. I have actually seen them handle light contrast better than the Leica which is totally confusing.

If only it was all so simple. Pay more, get clearly better. Its not just as straightforward but the Chinese seem to be really getting it together more and more.

Morning Solar

I always wondered about those 10x25 Frontier but it seems like I was correct in going for the 8x25 although they can have quite bad flaring.

When I was comparing my Leica to the Hawke 10x32 yesterday I seemed to notice that the Leica needed a lot more constant refocusing which seemed to me to show that the Hawke have a better depth of field than the Leica. I think this is part of the reason that I sent the Leica for repair because with those the focusing is more important and their stickiness was really highlighted. Thankfully now they are not as bad. Maybe they will even free up fully eventually at least hopefully not foul up again.

What I have found is that I quite like the amazingly fast focus of the Hawke 10x32. It takes almost nothing of a turn to go from near to far focus and yet they focus quite well, although I have the diopter set way off to the plus side were normally I would have it centered, but since it works I don't care.

I should also say that my Leica can show some sort of cloudiness to the view occasionally similar to what I have described as the grayish cast with the Hawke and then at other times they are totally clear so even the top models do not always behave perfectly.

Every model has some compromise and the Hawke 10x32 has everything in good balance, nothing spectacularly good or bad and to me this is much preferrable than having some particular annoying aspect. I don't think the Hawke have any such a thing so I will be keeping mine as they are just to useful.

Mine seem fine for edge sharpness in fact this is one of the things that I find commendable about them. As long as it does not distract me then I'm happy and I've had much worse for edge sharpness such as the Bushnell 10x42 HD which is a great bin but that one I sold.

If you are going to keep them then take them out and about let us know how you get on. I had great views yesterday with the Hawke of hundreds of greylag geese taking off and flying about. Just a great sight and I definitely think the 10x helped but I know my 8x56 are great for that also. I don't get as close or as much detail but the brightness is superb. Even my little 8x25 Hawke have less CA than my Leica. I have actually seen them handle light contrast better than the Leica which is totally confusing.

If only it was all so simple. Pay more, get clearly better. Its not just as straightforward but the Chinese seem to be really getting it together more and more.
I'll let you know how I get on with them, hopefully I'll find time to try them out later in the week. The flaring on the 10x25 is really quite bad in my case, whether this down more to just not suiting me or one of a bad batch.

Well after much deliberating and testing today, it turns out that there is a problem with the focusing. Very annoying, as I just couldn't get them to focus correctly, no matter how much I adjusted the diopter the left barrel would remain out of focus. Then when it appeared I'd solved the problem, as soon as I focused on another object they appeared out of focus once more, no matter how much I tried to synchronise both barrels. I've contacted Uttings and will be sending them back tomorrow.

Well after much deliberating and testing today, it turns out that there is a problem with the focusing. Very annoying, as I just couldn't get them to focus correctly, no matter how much I adjusted the diopter the left barrel would remain out of focus. Then when it appeared I'd solved the problem, as soon as I focused on another object they appeared out of focus once more, no matter how much I tried to synchronise both barrels. I've contacted Uttings and will be sending them back tomorrow.

Unfortunate but obviously no point in keeping that pair at least.

Strangely I found something like that to happen with my 8x25 Frontier so with those I just find the best setting on the day and seem to be able to use them ok after that but it is very strange. Sometimes +1 seems best sometimes -1? and sometimes anything in between even zero?

I did mention that I have to set the diopter on my 10x32 way off to one side but there is still plenty of setting to go if needed and mine are pretty good and seem pretty accurate near and far so there are pairs that are ok and maybe you just need to get them exchanged unless its totally put you off.

Here is a link for another binocualr that I was considering before I bought the Hawke. The spec and spiel look good and I like the binocular look also.
Pity I haven't been able to try a pair and for now I don't need or intend to buy any more.

http://www.bristolcameras.co.uk/pro...=visionary-inara-9x36-binocular#Specification

They look like Hawke Nature Treck but seem better optically.

My 8x56 Hawke are the only binocular I own that works perfectly with the diopter at Zero. The Leica need a very slight offset for best results.

Last edited:
After looking at them on line, my guess is that these Hawkes are clones of the newly released Vortex 8x and 10 x 32 Diamondback binoculars.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/vortex/vortex-diamondback-10x32-binocular

Specs are the same and they look very similar.

Bob

Could be but the Hawke is an outgoing model hense the half price sale by some dealers. It seems we are actually getting a bargain here for once, well provided you are lucky enough to get one that works!

I am guessing that Hawke are stopping this line to try and promote the open bridge version but they seem to have replaced the closed bridge Frontier with a non-phase coated otherwise identical model in the Endurance?

I think they should be going the other way and giving it some ED lenses and dialectric stuff and a finer focus. That would be a little gem.

Looks as if all these are chinese pick and mix models. I don't understand why no sign of a high end 32mm offering from anyone that I am aware? Surely that would be popular? Probably pop up soon.

Last edited:
Unfortunate but obviously no point in keeping that pair at least.

Strangely I found something like that to happen with my 8x25 Frontier so with those I just find the best setting on the day and seem to be able to use them ok after that but it is very strange. Sometimes +1 seems best sometimes -1? and sometimes anything in between even zero?

I did mention that I have to set the diopter on my 10x32 way off to one side but there is still plenty of setting to go if needed and mine are pretty good and seem pretty accurate near and far so there are pairs that are ok and maybe you just need to get them exchanged unless its totally put you off.

Here is a link for another binocualr that I was considering before I bought the Hawke. The spec and spiel look good and I like the binocular look also.
Pity I haven't been able to try a pair and for now I don't need or intend to buy any more.

http://www.bristolcameras.co.uk/pro...=visionary-inara-9x36-binocular#Specification

They look like Hawke Nature Treck but seem better optically.

My 8x56 Hawke are the only binocular I own that works perfectly with the diopter at Zero. The Leica need a very slight offset for best results.
I'm in two minds whether to do a straight swap and take my chances, or get a refund and buy those in the link you provided. I must say I've never heard of the brand though, but the specs look good.

Edit. I misread the model make, yes I've heard of Visionary just not that model.

Last edited:
I bought the Hawke Frontier phase-corrected 10x32 from Uttings and they arrived yesterday. I haven't had them in the field or a hide yet (tomorrow I will though)

For the price (£79 instead of £169) they are great little bins. I have been trying them out in my garden alongside my Nikon ED60 scope and they hold up very nicely and I am not getting any of the "dull greyness" that Clive has experienced. Eye relief is good too with the cups twisted up fully, as I am a contact-lens wearer.

All-in-all a good buy with the compactness and light weight making a pleasant change from the 10x42 pair I had been using a lot.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back