• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SF Bay Area May 24-26th, 2012 (1 Viewer)

JeffMoh

I birded the Sutro Heights / Presidio area of SF for a couple of hours on Thursday, May 24th in horribly windy conditions.

Seal Rocks had Brandt's and Pelagic Cormorants. Sutro Baths had only Western Gulls, White-crowned Sparrows and Brewer's Blackbirds. A walk along the cliffs towards Golden Gate turned up little: Western Scrub-jay, Black-headed Grosbeak, Brown Pelican, Red-tailed Hawk, a single Black Oystercatcher, plus quite a few Surf Scoters riding out the waves.

Sutro Park had lots of Common Ravens and Western Gulls, as well as House Finches and Eurasian Collared Dove. There were a few Anna's and Allen's Hummingbirds and an American Rovbin. The best birds were a California Towhee was scuttling around, as was a Rufous-crowned Sparrow.

Saturday May 26 I had two hours at Mitchell Canyon, on the north side of Mt Diablo. Perfect conditions for birding, although I was too late for songbird migration. The parking area had Black Phoebe, Am Kestrel, Chestnut-backed Chickadee, White-breasted Nuthatch, Acorn Woodpeckers, Band-tailed Pigeons and Oak Titmice.

The main trail had several California and Spotted Towhees, many Dark-eyed Juncoes, House and Bewick's Wrens, and some spectacular singing Lazuli Buntings. Also California Quail, Cassin's Vireo, American and Lesser Goldfinches, Anna's Hummingbird, Ash-throated Flycatchers and House Finches.

After that I spent 90 minutes at Black Diamond Mine Regional Park. The picnic area has a water fountain which drains into a small 12" x 12" basin that is popular with hot and thirsty birds. It's always a great show! I watched as a succession of birds came to drink and/or bath: Dark-eyed Juncoes, House Finches, White-breasted Nuthatches, Lesser Goldfinches. Spotted and California Towhees were around the picnic area, as were Anna's Hummingbirds, European Starlings and Western Bluebirds. The only raptor I saw was a Red-tailed Hawk high overhead. Just outside the entrance gate is a good spot for Phainopepla but I didn't see any this trip. Instead there were Violet-green Swallows, W Kingbird and a Bullock's Oriole.

Back in SF, a quick visit to Lake Merced in howling winds turned up Am Coots, Mallards, Western Gulls, White-crowned Sparrows, two Rufous-crowned Sparrows and another Anna's Hummer.

A visit to Fort Merced for Bank Swallows was largely foiled when I couldn't access their nesting area. I had to make do with a score or more Common Ravens. As consolation, driving back to my hotel I passed a Steller's Jay hopping along a neighborhood sidewalk.

Overall, not a great trip, with a total of only 50 species. I wish I'd visited 2-3 weeks earlier!

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back