• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gotta share this Rhino beetle... (1 Viewer)

MikeB.

In my Landie, under a tree
DOn't know too much about bugs, but this rhino beetle just has to be shared!

Took this last Friday, carefully, but it doesn't seem to move very fast, then put him out in the bush again.

Mike

Attachments

• Rhino Denis reduced 021204.jpg
    Rhino Denis reduced 021204.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 204
Rhino beetle

Hi Hel,

It was the kind of size that if you were riding your bike with your mouth open and it flew in, you would have a serious problem!

About 70mm long (just under 3 inches), and very strong. Can't make out where its eyes are.

None like this in UK??

Mike

Attachments

• Rhino beetle 2 081204.jpg
    Rhino beetle 2 081204.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
Hi Mike,

Apparantly Rhino beetle covers more than 300 different species of scarab beetle. Is this particular one called "Chalcosoma atlas"? Looks like one to me.

Just been doing a little googling about them. I think if I would have seen one of those when I lived in Swaziland I would have had a hissy fit and demanded my parents flew me back home straight away :eek!:

All I can tell you though, for certain, is how to create the sound of millions of scarab beetles running around on a film set ;)

Regards

Oh right! Googling about, seems the Chalcosoma Atlas is Asian, or Malaysian. Maybe it is the Augosoma Centaurus, western equatorial Africa ,60-90mm?

I'll call him Fred, it's easier!

Cheers.

Aaaaaaaaah - 50 posts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MikeB. said:
I'll call him Fred, it's easier!

Cheers.
Aaaaaaaaah - 50 posts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LOL - nowt wrong with Fred.

You are now at the point of no return re your 50 posts. Well and truly in at the deep end now....hehe

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back