• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can you ID this New Guinea bird song? (audio file) (1 Viewer)

djringer

When I lived in Papua New Guinea last year, I heard a bird I couldn't identify singing in a valley in the Eastern Highlands Province. The elevation was approximately 1600 meters/1 mile. Habitat was human-altered (typical of the highland valleys), and the bird sang from the tops of tall trees like Casuarina.

On a couple of occasions, I saw Mountain (Red-headed) Myzomelas (Myzomela adolphinae) in the same tree from which I'd been hearing this song. I'm familiar with the myzomela's chips and trills, which are the only vocalizations I could find described in the literature I had. I wondered if the song below could be an alternate myzomela vocalization, but perhaps its something else entirely.

The mp3 is here: mystery song. The quality is very poor. You will probably have to turn up your speakers to hear the bird.

Note that I removed the spaces between the bird's individual phrases. You will hear them one right after the other in this sample, but when singing, the bird paused 5-15 seconds between phrases. The "ringing" quality of the bird's voice reminded me of North American Carolina Wrens or brown thrushes.

Any ideas?

David

Based on your description, I thought of a Gerygone, but it doesn't sound like whistling enough to me... maybe indeed a Myzomela.

It probably doesn't come across well in the recording, but this bird's voice had both "ringing" and "burry" qualities. As you pointed out, this is quite unlike the soft whistling songs of gerygones (or at least, gerygone songs or calls I'm familiar with). Gerygone ruficollis, of course, is the species that occurs in the habitat where this recording was made.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back