• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any compact digicam good for videoscoping? (1 Viewer)

Mgbirder

Hi, i am very interested in digiscoping but would lke the ability to videoscope also (with the same camera).

There are a some HD video capable digicams out there wich can also be used to digiscope (Lumix X3, Sony WX1, the Samsung TL350 (this last one not confirmed as a digiscope camera)).

I am limiting the choices to hd video capable cams because of my idea to use the same camera for taking stills and filming.

The cuestion is: Are the results of videoscoping with a compact digicam worth it, to me be limiting the options to HD capable cams?

Hio Mgbirder,

The HD compact camera for videoscoping should be enough depending with the distance of the bird when you were recording on video mode.

I have been using the FUjifilm F31D in the rainforest for digiscoping but occasionally when the light was too low, I switched to video mode (non-HD) to get a record of the bird itself.

For myself, having video and capable of getting good shot from our scope is very useful while leading birding groups. Means I don't have to carry many equipments on the field :)

Hio Mgbirder,

The HD compact camera for videoscoping should be enough depending with the distance of the bird when you were recording on video mode.

I have been using the FUjifilm F31D in the rainforest for digiscoping but occasionally when the light was too low, I switched to video mode (non-HD) to get a record of the bird itself.

For myself, having video and capable of getting good shot from our scope is very useful while leading birding groups. Means I don't have to carry many equipments on the field :)

Thanks, nice videos, did you film them with the Fuji?
In your opinion is a non HD video camera enough to document, beeing that there always be some difficulties in getting a sharp image in the video mode?
I am really inclining myself to the canon s90 now, beeing its good low light performance, full manual controls, and superb color rendering (but no HD).

I hope the next Nikon compact for digiscoping would be in HD for video mode and absolutely recording in HD is better than VGA like my Fujifilm F31D ;)

I hope the next Nikon compact for digiscoping would be in HD for video mode and absolutely recording in HD is better than VGA like my Fujifilm F31D ;)

I know, i would like HD recording function a lot, but the main weight is on taking stills, out of the available compact digiscoping capable cameras with HD video wich would you recommend?

I am in a similar position. I think I am going to get my hands on a Samsung TL350 when they are available and see how it does. A compact camera is much easier to get to work without vignetting than a video camcorder.

I have had good luck with my Canon 590is, but it is just standard definition. I am exited about 1080p video. I hope it will work. I also like the backlit CMOS idea and fast lens for still photos. We will have to see.

:D

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back