• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull ID - Cornwall (1 Viewer)

Which features are you using to id this bird as argenteus? Curious.

The picture looks somewhat over-exposed...and I believe I can discern more grey mottling to the head than is being shown?

Also the black band to the bill appears to conform to a 3rd year argenteus..as illustrated in Collins.

there's dirt on the bill. such a bill band is not naturally shown by an adult herring gull. it's at least 4cy (probably 5cy or older) because apical spots (white primary tips) are large.
i can't ID it to subspecies.

there's dirt on the bill. such a bill band is not naturally shown by an adult herring gull. it's at least 4cy (probably 5cy or older) because apical spots (white primary tips) are large.
i can't ID it to subspecies.

I can see mud/dirt on the lower 60-70% of the bill appearing to contrast against the bill ''band''...also acknowledging the larger apical spots which would suggest an adult bird. However a 3rd year argenteous should show a bill band as per Collins.

To my knowledge there is no big difference in amount of black on the bill between argentatus and argenteus. From this picture it shouldn't be possible (as Lou says) to id this bird to ssp.

but its in Cornwall so most likely an argenteus. (though obviously argentatus do occasionally occure in the south west)

Agree with Luke. Ratio of argenteus to argentatus in Cornwall has got to be many thousands to one. So, when struggling for for conclusive plumage features, go with the geographical ones! ;)

Thanks all .. still learning ( and now have to factor in birds with dirty beaks ;-) .. makes a change from a bit of some unsuspecting tourists pasty on the beak)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back