• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

In London (1 Viewer)

Gzoladz74

Hello, I will spend a few days in London (end March) and I would like to see 2 species I haven't seen before, but I believe they are widespread over there: nuthatch and great spotted woodpecker.

What are the chances of seeing these in Hyde Park and similar? I will around central London and travelling out of the area is unlikely to be an option.

Also (and this is in the nice to have category), any recommendations to see any owls in the same area? Thanks

http://kensingtongardensandhydeparkbirds.blogspot.co.uk/

This is an excellent blog for finding out what's out and about in Hyde Park, and today's post (Sun 7th Feb) shows a nuthatch (which I've not seen there although admittedly I don't go often).

The Friday 5th Feb post shows GS Woodpecker and Little Owl, plus a mention of Tawny Owls.

Greenwich Park and Hampstead Heath are also good for Nuthatch/GSW in my experience, plus Richmond Park if you get chance to head out that way.

Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park is quite central (just get the Central Line to Mile End) and you'll have a great chance of seeing/hearing GS Woodpeckers at that time of year.

Richmond Park and Wimbledon Common, which are beside each other are where I cut my teeth birding many moons ago. Well worth a visit and you should stand a very good chance of both species there. Worth giving an entire day as they are huge. Try not to get lost as they feel like trackless wildernesses sometimes. ;)

If going to Richmond Park bear in mind it is tricky to get to by public transport although buses pass by Richmond & Robin Hood gates. You can get a fast train to Richmond from Waterloo (or the slower underground) then maybe a bus. Best to get there early and mid-week so avoiding the bulk of visitors and dog-walkers.

GS Woodpeckers are common and Nuthatch shouldn't be problem. Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers also occur but are few in number and elusive but late March is as good a time as any to find one. Little & Tawny Owls are fairly common- Little being easiest to see, early morning/evening visit best for these. The centre of the Park around the Pen Ponds would be best to explore. Warning: Ring-necked Parakeets are very common and noisy- but you can tick them.

Wimbledon Common needs a train & bus to get to as well but doesn't have LS Woodpecker and L Owl. There might still be some Wombles though.

Have a good trip.

Thanks all, great data. I am going for just 2 days this time so I will have to keep it fairly central, but will definitely check those places out!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back